HYPOCRITES AMONGST US

Non Hamlet issues you want to share

Moderator: sigmore

Bruce Osburn

HYPOCRITES AMONGST US

Postby Bruce Osburn » Fri March 17, 2017, 9:43 pm

I am fully aware that when I post these paragraphs I will be opening myself to all sorts of ridicule -- and maybe even veiled threats of bodily injury -- from those who are so determined to maintain the current porous borders around the USA.

You see, it doesn't seem to matter to free access advocates that there are certain protocols non-US citizens must follow before being granted entry into this country. No, it would appear that they are advocating for unrestricted entry for every Tom, Dick and Mary who wants to come here, legally or illegally. And, in support of that advocacy, hundreds of high profile spokespersons have blasted Trump's proposal to build "the wall". But they are, in my opinion, and in all likelihood, hypocrites.

I have no proof but I would surmise, and with a great deal of confidence, that each and every one of "the wall" opponents has at least one lock and dead bolt on every outside door, window and other accesses into their homes. And I doubt very seriously that the locks are there to keep kids and pets inside the house. No, most likely they are there to keep uninvited guests out. And the same can be said for their autos, trucks and other vehicles because the door locks are not safety devices, they are there to deter thugs from stealing them while they sleep or perhaps prevent someone from jumping into them while waiting for red lights to change to green.

So, if "the wall" opponents are so in favor of allowing unfettered access into the USA, why then do they have locks on the doors of their homes and cars? Why aren't they so willing to allow free access to anyone who takes a notion to enter their property?

Yes, hypocrites, one and all, preaching one policy and practicing just the opposite.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

lynnsteen

Re: HYPOCRITES AMONGST US

Postby lynnsteen » Sat March 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Well said.

sigmore

Postby sigmore » Mon March 20, 2017, 9:11 pm

I'll concur on that as well. Don't get the Christian hypocrites stirred up too much.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Tue March 21, 2017, 12:12 am

No, not hypocrites.

Hypocrites are people who act in contradiction to their stated beliefs.

None of the wall opponents I know — I know plenty and I’m one of them — thinks the immigrants illegally crossing the border are doing so because they want to steal from us or harm us. But that is what we think people who would enter our homes without permission are up to.

So it’s not hypocrisy because our beliefs about these immigrants and people who break into houses are not the same.

This is a mathematical fact re-proven every day in the United States: If someone who illegally crossed our border enters a house, when that person leaves it is millions of times more likely that the house is clean and the laundry folded than the TV is missing.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969

Linda Lancaster

Postby Linda Lancaster » Tue March 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

i think I need my jaws wired shut. We need a big dose of compassion but we also need a big dose of common sense and reality.

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Tue March 21, 2017, 10:58 pm

I'll concede that illegal immigrants are not crossing the borders because they want to steal from us or do us harm. But, regardless of why they crossed, there are still some who are doing just that in some form or other.

My definition of stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to the person taking it. (Washing your car using a neighbor's water and garden hose without permission is stealing.) And a person who receives (takes) public services, whether local, state or federal, but has no naturalization or birth rights to those services, does both harm and theft to those who are largely responsible for providing those services. And that's what illegal immigrants are doing when they avail themselves of a vast number of social services, including public schools.

So promoting and allowing unfettered access into this country seems like a pretty high price to pay just because some folks want clean houses and folded laundry. But I would like to think that those who washed the floors and folded the sheets had been invited into the USA and then asked to enter private homes.

As I have said several times before on this forum, my gripe isn't with those who came into this country legally; my gripe is with those who slipped through the back door knowing full well that they could depend on the open borders gang for support. But if the open borders people are so dedicated to their cause then I suggest that they put their money where their mouth is. And in doing so they could help lessen the financial burden placed on those who do not agree with them.

An excellent way for an open borders advocate to show support for illegal immigrant families is to sponsor one. And I don't mean just giving lip service and waving placards; what I mean is taking full responsibility for a family by spending some of their own money. Let them provide an immigrant family with food, shelter, clothing, private schooling and medical care until the family is able to pay its own way.
Bruce Osburn

Linda Lancaster

Postby Linda Lancaster » Wed March 22, 2017, 7:08 am

I agree. Put your money where your mouth is. The lack of border control could eventually reduce us all to only God knows what. I cannot imagine the Pelosi types looking for her medical care and other needs in a homeless shelter. Sponsor a family and then I will respect you. Otherwise, go back to your living in a dream world.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Sun March 26, 2017, 11:12 am

You surprised me, Bruce and Linda.

I had not expected to find so much support for what areas with the heaviest immigration are doing and have done for years. You obviously recognize why there are so many sanctuary churches, cities, counties and -- soon probably -- states.

These places recognize the value of treating people well who risk their lives to find work to help their families. So often the United States has turned its back on people who embody the courage, initiative and work ethic that we profess to admire. We said they were the wrong color, worshiped the wrong god or our god in a different way than we did, spoke a different language or did any of a million other things in a way we didn't approve of and thus found reason not to like.
Jody Meacham

HHS Class of 1969

Linda Lancaster

Postby Linda Lancaster » Sun March 26, 2017, 12:09 pm

I am in no way against any other person regardless of their race, religion or any other reason. There are rules on how to enter or become a citizen of this country. Either change the rules or abide by them. That is all I am asking.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Sun March 26, 2017, 2:37 pm

And all I'm asking is that our rules fit the circumstances of people who are desperately fleeing hardship and war and reflect our national ideals. Your previous post makes it clear you think the people coming here are the problem. They aren't. They are fleeing the problem.
Jody Meacham

HHS Class of 1969

Linda Lancaster

Postby Linda Lancaster » Sun March 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Not all of the people fleeing here are problems, but some of them are. If I were an illegal immigrant or refugee, I would be skeptical of any city or state that told me they would protect me from the current laws of our land. Sounds to me like I would be opening myself up to being blackmailed or entering in a pathway to a sort of slavery. I am not that gullible. It sounds so kind to be a sanctuary but it really is a smokescreen. The whole bunch proposing all this do nothing but throw crumbs at the desperate.Talk about taking advantage of the downtrodden. They just want to make themselves look like they care about the less fortunate. Are these sanctuaries going to have any rules or guidelines or just wing it? It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Nothing in this life will ever be free or easy.

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Mon March 27, 2017, 12:54 am

I don't think the majority of "the wall' proponents base their objections to illegal immigration on color, religion or language. But there's no denying that there is at least one of... "a million other things in a way we didn't approve of and thus found reason not to like". And that one thing is people slipping into this country without permission, whether they be wealthy or poor, educated or under educated.

I don't recall "the wall" proponents voicing major opposition to those who come here legally. And they come daily, by the thousands and of many colors, religions and languages.

The open border zealots are surpassed only by Mexico in their desire to maintain inadequate border control. And it appears that, as far as Mexico is concerned, the more inadequate, the better. So it's no surprise that Mexico is dead set against Trump -- or anyone else, for that matter -- creating an impenetrable barrier along our southern border, whether it be a wall or increased surveillance and patrol.

And it isn't difficult to understand why Mexico doesn't want a tight border because closing the border to illegal crossings would contribute greatly to crippling Mexico's biggest source of foreign revenue. You see, Mexico's poor, under educated masses -- los campesinos -- are the most valuable natural resource the country exploits and exports. They contribute more foreign income to Mexico's economy than #2 oil or #3 tourism.

Prior to 2014 oil exportation was Mexico's #1 foreign revenue source but was replaced by money transfers made by Mexican nationals outside the country. News sources report that those remittances from the USA to Mexico were approximately 25 billion dollars in 2015. (That amount is greater than the budgets of some states.)

And what makes the #1 natural resource so much more valuable to Mexico is the country does not have to spend one peso in order for those billions of dollars to flow into the economy every year.
Bruce Osburn

Return to “Just other Stuff”