Old aerial photo of Hamlet

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Old aerial photo of Hamlet

Post by David »

g gregson

Post by g gregson »

Great old photo ! If ya look at it closely , you can really see a lot of places to stir great memories...this is cool!
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

I don't know the year this was taken but it appears to be pretty old. Two story building on Bridges street. Reese Bike Shop is there. Early 60's maybe.

Anybody have an idea??
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Judging from the Raleigh Street/Main Street intersection there at the Post Office/Nursing School, it appears this was shortly after a snow. Why else would traffic patterns be so well defined?

Also, just up the street from Sanitary Laundry, this side of the old Hamlet Hospital, appears to be Pansy Fetner still standing. When was that destroyed? One other clue... notice that US 74 has been four-laned beyond the Spring Street Extention. DOT records could yield additional information.

Those clues may narrow the date down.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
g gregson

Post by g gregson »

Early sixtys looks good I guess. When was the A&P store built...looks like it's not there yet. Lots of clues but need some help with this one! will look some more.........
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

The nurse's classroom building was finished in 1966. It is not in this picture.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Talking about the one behind "Pop" and Veep Nettles house? Also... the "educational" building at FBC is already there. Now... Arthur Byrd, Johnny Martin and I used to fly paper airplanes off the third floor at a fairly early age so that's been around for a while.
Last edited by jhscarborough on Sun September 12, 2010, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

The new Sunday School buildings at First Baptist, First Methodist and First Presbyterian all appear to be there, but the Presbyterian parking lot is still dirt and the gas station on Rice Street near the library is not yet built nor is the A&P. Also, somebody needs to water those roses in the window of Joe's Florist. Has to be the '60s.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Found this on the FBC educational building. Oct 26, 1956

So if was probably built by 1958-59

Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

The First Baptist Educational Building was dedicated May 6, 1962.
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

My brother said he worked on the Nurses Educational Building next to the old Hamlet Hospital in the spring of 1965. So it was taken after May, 1962 but before May of 1965.
g gregson

Post by g gregson »

David, look at your Grandmother's house! I used to love going up to her place and hunting squirrels up there. Property was loaded with em' ! She used to also have a HUGE black dog...newfoundland breed i think for home protection. The big guy was pretty cool though..God he was HUGE!