Campbell Pharmacy

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Campbell Pharmacy

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Sun January 2, 2011, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

I lived right across the street from Earle and Kathlene (sp) Campbell. They were both two of the finest people that I ever knew. Earle and my dad fished Santee-Cooper together quite a bit back in the 50's and 60's. I believe Earle also had a lot to do with the developement of Pinecroft. Mrs. Campbell was the epitome of a gracious Southern Lady. I remember many a summer afternoon after cutting their grass she would serve me lunch and a Coke on their side porch, and then we would enjoy great conversation . They also had a very nice daughter, Sissy Campbell. I may be wrong on this but after she married I think she lived in Birmingham, Alabama.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Wasn't that the Campbell house on the corner of Dogwood and Hawthorne? John Bill Brittingham lived across Hawthorne and Erline and Bill Byrd eventually built a house diagonally across from them. Gulledge's field was on that same block? If I remember correctly, we used to cut through the back field on our way to and from Fairview Heights twice a day.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

@joe, you are correct in all you said.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Now it dawns on me. You're the son of Bill Pearce the dentist.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

Yep. That's me. I'm the oldest.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

When I was younger I would rather endure the pain of drilling than have a needle stuck in my gums... go figure. So whenever your dad had to put a filling in, he drilled away and I gripped the arms of that chair until I'm sure my knuckles were white. Despite all the pain I suffered, obviously at my own request, I thought highly of your father. I still remember, in my mind's eye, the aquarium between the two waiting rooms.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Wasn't Campbell's Pharmacy right there at Bill Pearce's office? Like in between... was it a florist next to his office?... and the bank where David has Vector shirts?
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

Dad is still alive at 90, but he doesn't know who he is or anyone else for that matter. We have him in Britthaven down on 177. Dementia and strokes have taken their toll. My mom died in 2001 with melenoma.

My brother Bob still lives in their house on Dogwood Lane. He's a contractor.
Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

There were several different businnesses in that building between my Dad's office and Campbell's. But yes, that was where it was located. When Mr. Campbell sold it and it became Raleigh St. Pharmacy I believe it was a gentleman named Bob Clarkin who bought it and ran it. I think he and his family were members of First Baptist too.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Wow! As a historian and genealogist (spare time) I know the value of offering the right queues. You're sparking my memories. Good job. I am beginning to remember that now. Give me a moment or two.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Bill Sapp

Post by Bill Sapp »

Bill: You are absolutely right in describing Mrs. Campbell as the epitome of a fine Southern lady. Both Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were fine people and always very kind to me. My mother worked for Mr. Campbell for many years at Campbell Pharmacy. The pharmacy was initially located on Hamlet Avenue and later (1961 ?) moved to the new building that was built on Raleigh Street. Later, mother continued to work for Bob Clarkin after he purchased the business and continued it as Raleigh Street Pharmacy.

Bob Clarkin was of the Catholic faith, but his wife Blanche and their two daughters attended First Baptist Church.

And Bill, speaking of fine Hamlet citizens, let us add your mom and dad to that group. Your dad was my family's dentist for years, and of course your mother had me in choir at First Baptist.

Bill Sapp
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Dr. Pearce 1958
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Bill Sapp wrote:Bill: You are absolutely right in describing Mrs. Campbell as the epitome of a fine Southern lady. Both Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were fine people and always very kind to me. My mother worked for Mr. Campbell for many years at Campbell Pharmacy. The pharmacy was initially located on Hamlet Avenue and later (1961 ?) moved to the new building that was built on Raleigh Street. Later, mother continued to work for Bob Clarkin after he purchased the business and continued it as Raleigh Street Pharmacy.

Bob Clarkin was of the Catholic faith, but his wife Blanche and their two daughters attended First Baptist Church.

And Bill, speaking of fine Hamlet citizens, let us add your mom and dad to that group. Your dad was my family's dentist for years, and of course your mother had me in choir at First Baptist.

Bill Sapp
1959 Phonebook ad - Campbell was located on Hamlet Ave.

Bill Pearce

Post by Bill Pearce »

@ Bill Sapp

Bill, thanks for the most kind words about Dad and Mom. And thanks for reminding me that your Mom worked for Earle, because I had forgotten that. I remember her being a very fine and outgoing Lady herself.

@David

Thanks for posting that picture of Dad.
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Found this picture and article.

Bill Sapp

Post by Bill Sapp »

A very good picture of the Campbell Pharmacy Staff. I hope Linda Bryant Saunders see this. I saw Linda the other day and she is doing well.

Mr. Clarkin is deceased as well as Mr. Campbell and Orene Reynolds. I am not sure about Mary Killough.

The article and picture is from 1962. Mother worked for Mr. Campbell some years before this picture was taken and had left the pharmacy in 1961 when I was born. She went back to work there around 1963 and continued working for many years, retiring in 1982 from the pharmacy which was then known as Raleigh Street Pharmacy and owned by Mr. Clarkin.

Bill Sapp