Pictures, History, Articles from the past
jhscarborough

Christmas Parade 1955 or 1956

Post by jhscarborough »

Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I see Watts Cleaners. Was that parade down 74 Mainstreet, or Mainstreet as it is now? I remember Roses and all that stuff down the 74 Mainstreet.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

I have no idea. At one time I thought it might be on Front Street, but I'm guessing this is along the portion of the route on Hamlet Avenue. I don't remember a five and dime on Main Street, but that means nothing.

It was a treat seeing you this past weekend at 2010 SeaFest.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Well??? Where are the pictures?? The pendant is in the works. Got to grease some gears.
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Working on it as we speak, bro'. Had to take a breather. I'll try to keep you incognito.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Don't remember the Watts Cleaners store specifically, but could it be that this is in the Joe Levine Department store building on Hamlet Avenue? That would put it between Levines store proper on the corner and the Western Auto store.

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

There was a 5&10 store on Main Street. As to who opened it, I do not remember. At one time, it was run by the father of siblings, Gloria and David Cade. I am thinking it was sold to A Harrington couple ( I think that is the name). I can't remember when it closed or went out of business But Mr Cade was running it during the mid-fifties. A street was between it and Mabry's drug store. I think my memory isn't playing tricks on me, at least, I hope not.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
Bill Sapp

Re: 55/56 Parade

Post by Bill Sapp »

I remember Roses Dime or Department Store on Hamlet Avenue. Mrs. Fincher worked there. I believe that is the store you see in the background.

I also remember Popes 5 & 10 across the street. I do not know when it opened, but I remember as a child going in there during the early 1970's.

Roses had better stuff and the clerks were nicer to you than they were at Popes.

Bill Sapp
Nancy Pollard

Christmas Parade

Post by Nancy Pollard »

The dime store on Main Street next to Mabry's may have been run by Mr. Cade who later had a dime store in Laurinburg...IF it was sold to Harrington's it was Vernon and Elsie Harrington. I worked there in 1964-65. Vernon was part owner of Wilson-Harrington Funeral Home. As far as I know the store is still up and running by Elsie's sisters Doris and Louise Smith.
I think the picture here looks to be taken in front of Rose's Dept Store or whatever the name was at that time. It was on Hamlet Avenue.
Nancy Pollard

Christmas Parade

Post by Nancy Pollard »

I just read Lynn's comments about the building being Levine's Dept Store and I bet he is correct.. :D
g gregson

Post by g gregson »

Mr JH Smith...you are correct. The small store on mainst. not Hamlet Ave beside Mabrys drugs was called Harringtons Gifts owned by Vernon Harrington and run by his wife Elsie. You mind is intact