Frank Wetzel

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
Bill Dennis

Frank Wetzel

Post by Bill Dennis »

Frank Wetzel

Family Of Elderly Convicted Killer Wants Him Released - Seen On 9 News Story - WSOC Charlotte

www.wsoctv.com

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/27965304/detail.html

Frank Wetzel Killed Two Highway Patrolmen 53 years ago.
Trooper J. L. Reese was killed in Richmond County.
Trooper James Brown was killed near Sanford.
Last edited by Bill Dennis on Sun May 22, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No God, No Peace - Know God, Know Peace SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS
Lloyd Murrie Lee

Post by Lloyd Murrie Lee »

Frank Wetzel should stay in prison until his last breath.
Linda Lancaster

Post by Linda Lancaster »

I was only 5 years old when this happened, but I do remember that the town of Hamlet was quite upset. How was the timeline explained though? How could Wetzel drive from Ellerbe to Sanford in such a short amount of time? Thoughts?
mwj

Post by mwj »

Having read the newspaper acounts of the event and even if only some of these facts are true, I believe there is reasonable doubt that he is even guilty. The eyewitness description of Wetzel was terribly flawed. Keeping a 89 year old man, with Alzheimers, in prison is cruel and unusual punishment, in my opinion.
Bruce Brown

Post by Bruce Brown »

I concur with you Lloyd.
Last edited by Bruce Brown on Mon June 6, 2011, 1:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I concur.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I don't remember these murders since my family had moved from Hamlet four years before they happened. But I do remember another shooting that happened in the early 1950s, probably around 1951 or 1952. That was the day city policeman Rex Howell was shot point-blank in the mouth by a fugitive from up north — N.Y., if my memory serves me — during a traffic stop. Does anyone else remember? And if you do, what was the outcome of the manhunt that ensued? (About twenty years ago one of my old uncles told me that the shooter, James Diggs, had been caught soon after and mysteriously disappeared into the murky waters of Gum Swamp, (wherever that is).
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.