Do you remember Mangum Coal & Oil

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Do you remember Mangum Coal & Oil

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Mon August 8, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HamletGirl@Heart

Post by HamletGirl@Heart »

my dad bought oil for our furnace and coal for our firplace from there....I'm guessing the first man a remember seeing when my dad would pay his bill was Mr Mangum and later it was Pete and Kay Hunt who ran it.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I remember an oil and coal company on/near Raleigh Street way back in 1948-1953. The coal storage pile (at least one of them) was on the east side of Raleigh Street, right where the curving track linking the south bound main line connected with the west bound track. If that was Mangum Co., then I remember it. If not, then it's another coal and oil company that I remember.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

I remember the same coal and oil place that Bruce does. My mother used to work at Southern National Bank, which was built next to it in the 1960s.

What I remember about it was that there was a spur track to the place that often had a coal hopper sitting on it that brought the coal to the place.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

Jody and Bruce, you both are right about the location. I too remember in the early '50's my mother would get our coal there, and the late '60 when I went to work on the Seaboard Coast Line RRwe would spot coal hoppers & oil tanks there on the Mangum Coal Spur, and pick up any empty cars to bring back to Hamlet Yard
There were 2 other Coal Spurs in Hamlet, called Coal Chuts, 1 behind The Terminal Hotel and 1 right next to the Railroad underpass on Hwy 74 on the south side. Coal Chuts were built off the ground, with a hole where you spotted the Coal Hopper to dump the coal out, on the ground or in the bed of a truck.
@ Jody, where SNB was built was a large Park, with some great trees to climb and a Great Place to sit and relax, was a beautiful park :D