Pictures, History, Articles from the past
Malcolm McLellan

When Was The Hamlet Theater Closed?

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

Does anybody know when Dr. Williamson Closed the Hamlet
Theater?
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

Malcolm, I don't have an answer to your question, only a lot of interest in it. My father worked nights at the theater for several years when I was in high school, and I worked for him Fridays and Saturdays popping pop corn, running the concession stand and occasionally filling in to run the projector. Then Dr. Williamson also bought the Richmond Theater in downtown Rockingham (last time I was there it was a vacant lot) and ran both of them. My father and I mostly worked at the Rockingham theater from that point until I went off to college in the fall of 1969. Bottom line on the closing date, though, is I can't remember but I think it must have lasted through the early 1970s.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
Bill Sapp

Post by Bill Sapp »

I remember someone telling me that they thought Jaws was the last movie shown at The Hamlet Theater. Jaws was released in '75, therefore the closing was probably 1975.

Bill Sapp
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I think Crowded Sky or something like that was on the marqee for years after it closed.
Bill Sapp

Post by Bill Sapp »

Interesting, The Crowded Sky was released in 1960 according to the Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB). I wonder why the theater would have a marquee for such an old film displayed at the end?

I'm just recounting what someone told me some years ago when the subject of the old theater came up.

Bill Sapp
Last edited by Bill Sapp on Wed August 10, 2011, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

The theater was actually closed twice. "Crowded Sky" was the last flick before the first closure, which lasted several years, and Crowded Sky remained on the marquee. Then Dr. Williamson bought and renovated the theater for its second life. So "Jaws" could have been the movie that killed the theater again.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I like watcha sayin bud eye cant concur cuz I aynt sure. That is what is called Benbonics here in Florida. Most places I work I end up with someone to tell everyone else what I said. It's a curse I tellya!!
HamletGirl@Heart

Post by HamletGirl@Heart »

I know for sure it was open in 1974. I remember going to see The Great Gatsby there. As for the old marquee's when renovating was done if my mind serves me correctly, a bunch of old one's were found.
Janet J. Norton

Post by Janet J. Norton »

Barney Martin, editor of Hamlet New Messenger, owned it before Dr. Williamson I believe. Mr. Martin was the one who left "Crowded Sky" up for so long on the Marque. I believe it closed in the mid 70's as well. I don't remember seeing Jaws in Hamlet. I saw it in Southern Pines, so it may have closed before then...Great Quest!!!
mikeshirleywood

Post by mikeshirleywood »

the sky is blue with sidney poiter
mikeshirleywood

Post by mikeshirleywood »

correction. patch of blue
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Not the answer but Theater information
July 1964

David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Crowded Sky 1962
April 27, 1962OH.jpg
April 27, 1962OH.jpg (225.74 KiB) Viewed 14141 times
David
Site Admin

Re: When Was The Hamlet Theater Closed?

Post by David »

The Hamlet Theater closed in 1976 for the last time. They were running second hand martial arts movies at the end. The twin Cinemas at the Shopping Center opened in 1977.
eddie hobbs

Re: When Was The Hamlet Theater Closed?

Post by eddie hobbs »

I have some really Good Memories of this place !!!