Second Baptist Church

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Second Baptist Church

Post by David »

Second Baptist Church 1945
Thanks to Betty Freeman Farrell for this picture.

Second Baptist Church 1957
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Dang!! 50,000 bucks went a long way back then. I'll bet that it would cost over a million now.
bandwagon

Post by bandwagon »

Thanks for adding this pic. to the history of Hamlet, places and information. I remember so well sitting in the pews of this little church on the corner and being hot in the summer and being warmed by a gas heater at the back of our church. We really had some good times those days and memories I will keep forever. Christmas plays, good choir music led by Hazel Blanton, flying critters to keep our eyes on (the windows were opened), gospel group came to be apart of Homecoming and old-timey dinner on the ground.

I remember so well one Sunday night it was really cold. I had on my camel colored coat with the collar that was some type of fur, the style most girls wore back then, I backed up close to the gas heater and my fur collar got too close and the church smelled to high heaven.

My family and the Turner's moved to Hamlet the same year. I was in the 4th grade. A great calling to such a loving church. Rockfish Baptist Church in the country in Raeford lost a good preacher. Second Baptist and our little church on the corner gained a true man of God that made a real difference at Second Baptist.

I also remember well the first Sunday we had our first service in the new church. We were in awe. Everything was so beautiful. We were so proud. Seems like things got a little more formal. The members of that little white church worked so hard to raise the money to build the new church. Everybody worked together to make this dream come true. There were many members of the church that donated items to help with the cost. I remember well my daddy donating the money to buy the glass, that is still on the table today, in front of the pulpit. It wasn't much, but I was proud.

I suspect I am not the only person in Hamlet that was a member of this little white church with many memories of their own they could share. Sundays and church were treated different back then...a slower pace..the way it was suppose to be...
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

Good post Bandwagon, I also rmember going to thr Little Church back in the 60's with The Jimmie Stricklin Family, and the Jimmie Cox Family