Do you remember??? Hamlet Coca-Cola

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Do you remember??? Hamlet Coca-Cola

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Sat September 10, 2011, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Why yes, yes I do. Had lotsa fun when I worked at Nettles Shell Station traveling on those 6 oz bottles.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

I remember too Sigmore. I grew up right next door to the plant on 74 East, and us kids spent many an hour at their dump site just south of the plant recovering all those valuables they had so needlessly thrown away (only in a kid's mind.)

Post by freddie hassler »

Does anyone remember when it was on R aleigh St :?:
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I remember the RC Cola place. I seem to vaguely remember CoCola was there also. Not enough for a concurrance though mind you.
mikeshirleywood

Post by mikeshirleywood »

freddie. would the coke plant have been about where the barnes auto supply was and al's vacuum is now?
freddie hassler

That is were I'm thinking, I remember going by there on the way to the Movies from Longwood Park and thay's what was told 2 me, Maybe not the Coke Plant, but surly a botting Plant. :D
mikeshirleywood

Post by mikeshirleywood »

i talked with lowery ballard today, and that's where the coke plant was. when the coke plant moved, the ballard's used the building for their warehouse for their beer company.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Way back in 1948 the Coke bottling plant was on US #74 east of town, just a couple hundred feet or so from the junction of N.C. #381. A little bit of searching on Google maps will show the building still there, although I don't remember the two wings being on the building. My memory only conjures up the two story brick building with the large picture windows, through which the bottling process could be observed as the bottles were filled and capped.

Go to Google maps and enter.. U.S. 74 Business and 381 hamlet N.C. .. in the search window. Place the little "walk-a-bout" man on the white-topped building to the left of the intersection and view the building at street level.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

The only place I remember the Coke plant was where Bruce said on 74 east at 381. When did it move?
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

I think it was moved after the end of Word War II about 1946 0r 47.
Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

Mrs. Jernigan's book of Hamlet history says 1948.
freddie hassler

I spoke with Abbie Gibbons Covington daughter of Jack Gibbons who owned the Coke Plant today and she said it was at that location, @ Mike & Shirly Wood, that expains why we would spot Ballard Beer cars on the Loading Dock beside the track that ran beside that street that runs from Raleight St. to E. Main st. so they could store Beer there, before they build the new building on Raleigh St. across from Mangum Coal & Oil, where they had their own spur and could unload from there :D
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Just catching up. I didn't realize I had been practicing invisibility for so long. It must have something to do with the curvature of the space-time continuum.

Anyway, this is a section of a map of Hamlet labeled August 1920.

Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Ballard Dist. was also located on Heast Hamlet Ave. at the intersection of Bridges St. and E. Hamlet Ave, this is also where the first Hamlet ABC store was located. Ballard Dist. then built a new building on Bridges St beside the RR tracks and later built another new building on Raleigh St. beside the RR Tracks. This was also the location of the Nash (automobile) Dealership. It was a 2 story building and Consolidated Building Supply was located behind it.