David
Site Admin

Red & White 1963

Post by David »

Red & White 1963OH.jpg
Red & White 1963OH.jpg (170.33 KiB) Viewed 14048 times
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

Where was that store? I remember the chain but not the Hamlet location.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

out Lackey St about three blocks past the Post Office on the left. The slab might still be there.
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

Is that where the Liles' store used to be?
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

If my memory serves me right, Liles' north side property line was also the south side property line of the parking lot at Red and White.

This photo was made standing in the middle of Lackey Street.

Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Bruce Brown

Post by Bruce Brown »

XXXX
Last edited by Bruce Brown on Sat January 14, 2012, 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikeshirleywood

Post by mikeshirleywood »

gary peele used to be the meatcutter. b'ham drug store used to buy their ham etc. for the sandwiches at the soda fountain. gary used to cut it real thin for mr. holland.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

The shops were still standing as late as 2000 when I wrote my memories of Lackey Street. Liles' grocery was demolished a few years after I made the photo.

This paragraph was extracted from my tale of "Lackey Street."

The Lackey St. of my childhood has vanished. What once were several blocks of neat and well cared for homes are now blocks of houses crying for attention, houses with the most forlorn appearance imaginable. On the east side of the street is evidence that someone had attempted to breath life back into this once proud neighborhood. Now standing silent and following the decline of the rest of the street are the remains of a shopping area, several adjoining shops that are now deserted and boarded up.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

Thanks, Bruce. Joe Liles was a classmate of mine and went to my church. I remember when his father was mayor.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

I do remember The Red & White and the Liles store, my Dad would go there from time to time and buy steak's @ Liles Store and after the Red& White closed A sewing Room opened there
Mayor Liles also had a son named Dober(sp) who was married to Mildred the cook at Sarge's Grill @ Oldtimer no kin as I know of
:D
jamesharoldsmith

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

Gosh Freddie, you're bringing old memories. Seems like just yesterday, that Dobber (sp) would leave the Hub and leave a streak of rubber on the hwy and every time he left the Hub in that 55 chevy, he would scratch-off. ( least I think it was a "55 chevy. This would have been in the early 60s.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Yepper, it's all coming back. My third and present wife lived on the corner of Champlain and Myrtle in the sw corner lot. Nothing there now. The so called "renter" burnt it down when he was getting ready to be evicted for no money no stayee. That's where Lex, Lionel, Cheryl, Aimee and my sweetie Ellen all lived.
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

@Jim, Dobber did drive a '55 Chevy, and I also saw him leave rubber as he left 'THE HUB' many times
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

July 1964

george davis

Post by george davis »

I remember back 1960-61 Iwas about 6 I went into Mr.Lyles store to get a couple things for my mom. I spent a nickel for some taffey that I was`t suppose to.I walk outside set on edge of little porch . I knew i had to eat this candy befoe I got back home. I sat down open little box and quickly unwrapped a piece and stuck it in my mouth and began to chew . Ileaned over looking down in box to see how many more pieces were left.About Mr. Hodges that drove the dilivery truck backed up to load a dilivery ,he didn`t see me and backed right over me .The back bumper hit my head knocking me out ,I was caught by my shirt collar on the shock .After loading truck Mr. Hodges drove off dragging me about 30 feet when he stopped got out and looked under truck Ithought the poor man was going to have a heart attack. WHEN THEY GOT ME FROM UNDER TRUCK ALL i SAID WAS iAM GOING TO GET A WHIPPIN YOU RUN OVER MY MAMAS BREAD AND BANANAS.I was in hospitial for a couple of days .MrLylles or JR. came to see me every day brought me big sacks of candy.
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

George is that what happened to you? LOL. Good to see that you aare still around.