A Special Place - Hub Grill

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

A Special Place - Hub Grill

Post by David »

What are your memories of the Hub Grill???

Lloyd Murrie Lee

Post by Lloyd Murrie Lee »

It wasn't until many years after high school graduation that learned that they served food at The Hub. :shock: :lol:
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

First and foremost, the thing that I remember about The Hub was the food. I have said before that for me the Hub hamburger defined what a burger was. And there was also the good milk shakes, and the apple pie and cheese. I lived just down the road and passed the place quite frequently, since I walked everywhere I went till I was a senior. All the trips to the Pool Room or movie took me by, and I Just had to stop in when they were open. But after ball games, we would all gather there for some food and gab, and playing the jukebox. My older brother Larry was a fan of playing those pinball games, and he would get mad at me for not lending him money to play them when his ran out. I just considered it a waste of money. The same with smoking; can't tell you how many times I was implored to have a cigarette, but I just couldn't see the benefits. To this day, I have never smoked a store-bought cigarette, and I didn't roll my own either.

The other thing I remember is Frog; don't know his last name. I would say that he was the Head Curbboy. When he wasn't running to and from the kitchen, we would stand around and chat about this and that. He was qucik to smile and had a good sense of humor. A good guy. Another curbboy I remember was Walter Bell.

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Walter Bell is still around and is retired from CSX.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I always parked in the back. Where else could you beep the horn and someone would bring you an ICE cold Bud inna bottle for 35 cents??? I think they had the first video jukebox in town also. I heard The "Hanky Panky" song a million times inside the Hub while them dirty ole men watched that bikini clad gal dancing to that song!! Even did a little huggin and a kissin behind the Hub beside that car lot. Was that one of Stone's car lots or Melvin Tucker's?
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Melvin Tucker and Leon Stone both had car lots there.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

"Gee Willikers" as Mr Gregson would say, I was right both times. That could be a first!!
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

If memory serves correctly, Charlie Hancock previously used that little building where the car lot was to conduct his painting business. Bet Fuller can confirm that!!

And Sigmore, that wasn't the only reason you parked out back, now was it?

Post by sigmore »

Well lynnsteen, other than huggin, kissin, and drinkin, what other reason would there be?? I did do a little burger and fry eatin though. I wasn't into fightin and such.
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Concur on that Lynn. Charlie Hancock did operate his painting out of this building. He lived 4 houses down the street from the Hub Grill on the same side of the street. Myself being like you all I had to do was walk up the street to the Hub to get one of those good hamburgers. I have found a place in Florence S. C. that has a hamburger pretty close to the Hub's buger.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Melvins in Elizabeth Town or it may be Whiteville has some pretty danged good burgers. All they sell is burgers and cheeseburgers with or without the killer chili (no beans) they will put on it if you so request. Butcher across the street is where they get the meat. I think they buy it in 1/3 pound balls. Fresh made right next door, never frozen. Don't even have lettuce or tomato for them. People line out the door at lunch time every day. Some in suits, most in tee shirts and flip-flops, every color in the rainbows gets together everyday for sum o dim burgers!!
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Sigmore, I had forgotten about Melvins. It is located in Whiteville N.C. and you do have to stand in line to get a burger.
Bill Dennis

Post by Bill Dennis »

I remember we would cruise The Hub, Tom & Sarah's & Seago's 4 to 6 times a night and wonder why our dad's would say we put so many miles on the car. The Hub did have good hamburgers but in those days what i like best was we could order a beer and get it before we were old enough to buy it. I must say the same was true at a few other places.
No God, No Peace - Know God, Know Peace SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS
scteach1964

Hub Grill

Post by scteach1964 »

As a child in the early 70's, my great grandmother, who babysat my sister and me, would take us to the Hub Grill on her way to Laurel Hill visit her oldest sister. My great grandmother drove a '64 white Buick, 2 door, no radio, and no AC. She loved that car.
Bill Pearce

Re:

Post by Bill Pearce »

Wayne Fuller wrote:Sigmore, I had forgotten about Melvins. It is located in Whiteville N.C. and you do have to stand in line to get a burger.
Wayne, Melvin's is in Elizabethtown. Original owners sold it several years ago but it is still in business.
The selling price for the business was actually for their recepie for the burgars. That comes direct from a friend of mine here in Fayetteville who grew up in E-town and knew the original owners well.