Rex Howell 1949

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
David
Site Admin

Rex Howell 1949

Post by David »

Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I remember this incident and it was the topic of conversation for many weeks. Word around town was the bullet was in such a location that surgery was considered to be too dangerous. A few days later the bullet fell out.

James Diggs managed to elude the manhunt. But, about 20 or 30 years ago, while remembering this incident with some of my old Hamlet uncles and aunts, one of my uncles said that Diggs was actually captured but then mysteriously disappeared in Gum Swamp. And, you know what?... I believed him then and still believe it.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

When I first moved to Hamlet in Longwood Park, in 1951 they were still talking about Rex getting shot. He lived in Longwood Park on Campell St, next to Mary Love and Diggs lived on Page St. across from a Dry Cleaners owned by a Black Family, and thats where Rex got shot on his front porch
Chief King also lived in LongwoodPark and he to got shot there by Mrs.Skipper who ran a smallstore. She shot him in the chest pontblank but the bullets were old and only bruised him

on Page st. across from a Dry Cleaners owned by a Black Family, and that was were Diggs shot Rex on his Front Porch
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I suppose there will always be more than one account given for any one incident. I don't recall James Diggs as being from Hamlet but instead he was passing through the area while fleeing from farther north. I recall rumors that he had just recently killed members of his own family — wife and others — up in the Tidewater area of Virgina or Maryland.

My recollection is that as Diggs passed through Hamlet late at night Rex Howell pulled him over for a traffic stop of some sort, and not because he knew of the killings. As Rex was looking at his (Diggs) license Diggs shot him point-blank in the mouth. And I reckon the only reason Diggs was identified was because his license was found at the scene.

All good legends eventually take on a life of their own after being retold countless times. Perhaps someone living in Hamlet could go to the library and pull up the story on old newspaper microfilm.
Bruce Osburn
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

Bruce, that was what was told to me, it may not be true cause the kid who told me was about 8 years old and may have made it up, but I did find out latter that Rex did get shot so I'm thinking he told me the truth since he knew who shot him, can't ask him now cause he is dead, Herbert Bruce may know since he lived only a short distance from where I was told Rex got shot :?:
Wayne Terry

Rex

Post by Wayne Terry »

Bruce's story was what was relayed to me also. I would have 4 then and my Dad was the Asst Volunteer Fire Chief back then. He knew Chief Hicks, Rex, King, Conyers??? well. They used to threaten to "lock me up" jokingly if I didn't behave...

I can't recall specific details, but remember it was at a traffic stop. I never even remember the specifics of the manhunt because of age.
t12

Post by t12 »

Bruce is correct with the story.
Joe Wooten

Rex

Post by Joe Wooten »

As far as I remember all Bruce says is true. I do remember that Diggs had some tie to Hamlet and the police had been told to be on the lookout for him. J also remember that the manhunt for Diggs was very intense, seemed like everyone in town was out looking, then one day all stopped looking, as if someone thru a switch.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Maybe David holds the answer to the rest of this story. So how about it, David, do you have a newspaper clipping describing the incident?

If David doesn't have the complete item, Im sure it can be found on microfilm at the local library. I know the film is there because I searched old Hamlet newspapers for 1948 through 1953 some years back.
Bruce Osburn
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

I found this on a google search.

On 10 Most Wanted List: 08-27-1952 to 12-14-1961

Federal process was dismissed in Norfolk, Virginia.

James Eddie Diggs presents a puzzle and a mystery. According to all accounts, James Eddie Diggs was a stable family man who was respected by members of the community. His neighbors described him as steady and hard-working. Diggs worked as a mechanic at the Naval Air Station in Norfolk, Virginia. Neighbors reported that at some time before commiting the crimes that placed him on the Most Wanted list, Diggs began drinking and he was heard to be arguing with his wife. A newspaper of account of time tells the story like this:
At 7 o'clock on the morning of May 26, 1949, James Eddie Diggs shot and killed his wife, Ruth, and their two sons James Jr., 6, and Alfonso, 4, at their home in Norfolk, Va. There were no signs of a struggle and police have been unable to establish a clear motive. However, shortly before the triple killing Diggs began to drink to excess and to seek the company of women. The whereabouts of Diggs were unknown for nearly a week after the slayings, but on May 31, 1949 he was identified as the man who, when the auto in which he was riding was halted at Hamlet, N. C., drew a revolver and critically wounded officer Rex Howell. After this shooting, Diggs "took to the woods."

That was the last time James Eddie Diggs was seen. He remained on the Most Wanted List until the FBI determined that he no longer met the criteria. The puzzle is, what happened to turn Diggs into a killer? The mystery is, where did he go and what became of him? No one may ever know.