Site Admin

Gulledge Motors 1958

Post by David »

Gulledge Motors 1958.jpg
Gulledge Motors 1958.jpg (191.01 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Bill Sapp

Re: Gulledge Motors 1958

Post by Bill Sapp »

I wonder how many British cars they sold? Not many I am thinking. However, I believe I recall a Morris Minor sedan like the one pictured here being driven in Hamlet many, many years ago - probably back in the 1960's. Although my dad liked Studebakers, he did drive mid, late-fifties, and early 60's Mercury products. Did Gulledge sell Mercury as well as Ford cars?

I see a '58 Ford in the showroom. From the look of the side trim and optional two-toning, this looks like a lower priced regular Fairlane series 4 door "Town Sedan." This model was priced slightly under the Fairlane "Victoria Sedan" and more upscale Fairlane 500 4 door "Victoria Sedan" and offered the buyer a pillarless hardtop style for a little less money.

Bill Sapp
Jody Meacham

Re: Gulledge Motors 1958

Post by Jody Meacham »

I don't think they sold many British cars, either. But I know Dr. Wingate Williamson owned a Morris Minor, which is the car on the left in the photo, as did my father (it may have been the same car sold used). I learned to drive a stick shift in that car.

The funny part of the ad, though, is that the ad points out that cars arrived here by boat, as if there was some other way to get them here.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969