Hamlet Snow Storm circa 1910-1920

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
bedford1864

Hamlet Snow Storm circa 1910-1920

Post by bedford1864 »

This pic features one of the two main streets in Hamlet for sure. I have no idea when this image was taken but estimate it to be between 1910 and 1920 just due to the apparent youth of my grandfather (Dick Cosby) seated on far right looking to his right. On the reverse of the image are the following names and their order is not given:

Davis Pillow
Jasper O’Brien
----
----
Shem Blackley
----
Carl Gaddy
“Mimp” Milham Birmingham
Cliff Neimyer
In Front – Frank Medlin
Dick Cosby
Web Milham

If anyone can help fill in the other names I would sure love to hear from them. One last thing, I looked over the entire pic with a magnifying glass to look for building names, etc. but the only thing readable was the street sign on the far left, to the right of the telephone pole. It says, "Get it at Lackey Bros." There is a sign on the second to last building on the right but almost impossible to read. Under magnification, it appears to start with an "R" and perhaps has three other letters. Very difficult. There is also what appears to be a sign just below the Lackey Bros. sign, perhaps standing on end. If it is, it appears to say "1918" but it could be something else or even an address sign. There is a sign on top of the building in the distance on the far left. It is indistinct but could possibly be the Terminal Hotel. Not sure of dates for it and if so, it appears to be on wrong side of the street. Can provide a high res copy of this if anyone wants to look closer. Thanks, Wayne Cosby
Attachments
Hamlet Snow Storm Unknown Date but probably 1910-1920.jpg
Hamlet Snow Storm Unknown Date but probably 1910-1920.jpg (300.36 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die.
bedford1864

Re: Hamlet Snow Storm circa 1910-1920

Post by bedford1864 »

Had I bothered checking into my other images I would see quite clearly that this is a view up Main Street from somewhere near the Terminal Hotel possibly. The top part of this second image is the same view but I'm not sure what year. You will notice the tops of the three similar buildings on the left is the same. The Hamlet Pharmacy is on the right. There is also a Bell Telephone sign above the Hamlet Pharmacy sign. There is a man pushing a large wooden looking spool down the center of the street. There are horses and buggies on both sides of the street. There are also two men with bicycles on the left side of the street. I have no clue how the bottom image fits into this as if it is of the same street, there is a steep cliff that there are workmen at the top of. Another man is kneeling in the center and another man on the porch of one of the buildings on the left. Look closely at the structure in the right center of the top photograph that comes to a point. This same structure is visible in the bottom image on the far right in the background. I'm thinking the bottom view is of another street in the area. Thoughts? Thanks, Wayne Cosby
Attachments
Main Street Then and Now.jpg
Main Street Then and Now.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 7101 times
bedford1864

Post by bedford1864 »

This a view looking SE down Main Street in 1912. There is a pool hall visible on left and the same three arches on top of the buildings on the left that are visible in the other images. There are also three like arches on the buildings across the street. The Hamlet Pharmacy is visible on the right down the street as well as the Terminal Hotel. Also visible next to the largest telephone pole is the same sign seen in another image "Get it at Lackey Bros". Amazingly, every person in this image appears to be posing for the picture. All of the people in the middle of the street have stopped and are looking toward the camera, including two persons with bicycles. A lady and two small children on the left are looking this way. The man on the ladder is looking toward the photographer and even a lady entering a store on the right is looking back this way. There appears to be recently installed concrete sidewalks as the ends are quite rough and visible. There is also a sign up on the building next to the building at the far right. It is a sign with the letters "FCB" (Friendship, Charity, Benevolence) for the Order of Knights of Pythias fraternal order. That was evidently their building or at least a part of it used for their lodge meetings. The building on the far right has a sign in front that, under magnification, seems to read "B. W. Williamson, Dentist". Lastly, I have no clue what the UFO in the sky is. Ha. Any thoughts on any of this? Thanks, Wayne Cosby
Attachments
Main Street 1912 - 600 dpi.jpg
Main Street 1912 - 600 dpi.jpg (776.57 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

This picture was taken in the middle of Main Street in 1912
in front of what is now Birmingham Drugs. This picture appears
in "More Than A Memory" a Hamlet history published in 1997.
It identifys only the same people you listed. The Terminal
Hotel would have been east or below where the picture was
taken.
bedford1864

Post by bedford1864 »

I supplied that picture to the Hamlet Library a number of years ago and I'm pretty sure that is where Ms. Jernigan obtained the image. Those were the only names listed on the back of the original that I have. Thanks. Wayne Cosby
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Dangit man, that's the starship Enterprise in the sky over Hamlet!!!