WWII Soldiers

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
bedford1864

WWII Soldiers

Post by bedford1864 »

On this Veterans Day I asked my dad if any Hamlet boys lost their lives in World War II. He told me the only three he was aware of were Arthur Smith, Jack Bundy, and Earl Hicks. He thought all died in Europe. Is anyone familiar with any others in that war that gave their lives in defense of their country? Thanks, Wayne
To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die.
raymci

Re: WWII Soldiers

Post by raymci »

Hap McNeil, son of Ida McNeil who lived on Henderson Street, was the first cousin of my mother, Lucy McNeil Hilburn Mcinnis. I'm not sure of his first name, as Hap was a nick name. Hap was a sergeant in the US Army and was Killed in action July 5 1944 on the island of Saipan. RIP Hap.
bedford1864

Post by bedford1864 »

Thanks for that post. I'm going to check with my dad to see if he knew him as he was also on Saipan, though in the Air Force so I'm thinking the air boys came in after the Marines and Army secured the Mariannas.
To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

My twenty-two-year-old uncle Tommy Lee Patrick was killed during the Anzio landing in May 1944. Although he was born in Chesterfield County, S.C., he enlisted in Richmond County.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=32250805&
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Wayne Terry

Post by Wayne Terry »

The end of war brought the boys back home from the far places of the world that the call of duty
had sent them. The servicemen from our church are as follows:
Hoyt Terry; Hilliard Terry; Loyce Terry; Detreese Latham; Laurence Dick; Leon Williams; W. C. Long;
Mike Byrd, Jr.; Eugene Ussery; Bill Smith; Wade McLean and James McLean.

One of these young men, Loyce Terry paid the supreme sacrifice of war. He was killed while in
the service and in line of duty.
This was from the Marks Creek Presby Church website. Loyce was a cousin of my Dad..I've heard the story but am drawing a total blank right now on how he died.