City Hall aOH.jpg
City Hall aOH.jpg (159.81 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
City Hall cOH.jpg
City Hall cOH.jpg (186.09 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
TR4

Re: Hamlet "Old" City Hall

Post by TR4 »

I remember
Last edited by TR4 on Sat October 11, 2014, 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I had the pleasure of staying there one night. Got caught at the Hub Grill also. Was'nt old enough to drink but I knew how. Got in pretty deep poo over that shenanigan.
Alan Andrews

Post by Alan Andrews »

Visited htis building many times.....not the jail though. My mother worked there for many years with Puddin Keziah, Laura Gunter and others.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

sigmore, Hey, just how old were you when you got caught drinking under age? Were you caught before you turned 18 or after the drinking age was raised to 21 back in the '80s?
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I was under 18. Finally turned 18, went to a technical school in Kentucky, had to be 21 to drink there. Dammit! You could buy a case of Buds in the bottle for less than 4 bucks after you paid the deposit on the case and the bottles.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I was never arrested for underage drinking but I got giggling silly a couple times before I graduated high school. I worked after school (12th grade, Garner, N.C.) in a little gas station that also sold beer along with gas and oil and nabs (B.R. Poole's Esso station on Garner Road, right across the street from the high school). There were two or three old car seats scattered around for the patrons and was the most popular place to stop in that little town, and was also the unofficial police station. The chief of police spent a good bit of time there and a couple of state troopers traded there, gas and oil and wash jobs for their personal cars. I became a trusted employee and sometimes the bossman said he was calling it a day and told me to lock up at quitting time. So I hung around pumping gas and selling soda pops, nabs and beer to anyone who came in, including the chief and troopers. (A few times I helped myself to a six pack or two at closing time and my buddy and I went to the local "Toot 'n Tell It" and made fools of ourselves.)

Just before graduation -- one day when I was stocking the beer cooler -- bossman asked what I planned to do after graduation. I told him not much, other than registering for the draft. "You ain't registered yet?" he asked. "Nah," says I, "I won't be 18 until the middle of August."

Bossman nearly dropped over with apoplexy. "I thought you were 18 already!" he said as he grabbed me and pulled me from behind the counter. And from that day on I was never allowed to sell beer.
Bruce Osburn
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

My first trip to CityHall was back in1950 to get my Pink Sugar Cube on the 2nd Floor in the room Far left facing Main St. :D
freddie hassler

The only time I drank beer underage was when I was in the USAF stationed at Malmstrom AFB Mont. where the age was 21, but you could drink in the Airman's Club if you were 18, I was 20
had to wait 5 months to go downtown Great Falls to drink at a Bar.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Virginia used to have a strange drinking law. Way back in the late '50s and '60s there were two alcohol-contents for beer in that state (at least around Norfolk)... 6% for those 21 and over and a 3% near-beer for those between 18 and 21. A really stupid law no matter how you looked at it. After all, a fellow could get falling-down drunk on 3%-beer too... he just had to drink more of it.
Bruce Osburn
freddie hassler

Bruce, I remember being at the Poolroom back in the 60's and when a passenger train stoped in Hamlet, young guy's headed to FortJackson would come in the poolroom and ask the Oldman for3% beer, ofcourse he didn't sell beer, so they moved on