Site Admin

Buttercup and the Railroad 1965

Postby David » Tue October 14, 2014, 5:24 pm

Jan 29, 1965 ButtercupOH.jpg
Jan 29, 1965 ButtercupOH.jpg (229.73 KiB) Viewed 4029 times

Bruce Osburn

Re: Buttercup and the Railroad 1965

Postby Bruce Osburn » Tue October 14, 2014, 6:10 pm

Good history report on Buttercup. Is the company still in business today? Or maybe bought by a larger ice cream maker?
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Tue October 14, 2014, 7:19 pm

I have serious doubts that Mello Buttercup, which was the name after Hamlet's Buttercup was bought by a company in Wilson, N.C., still exists. Bill Dennis worked for Mello Buttercup and wrote about it at http://ourhamlet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4697. He said that shortly after he went to work for them in 1976, Hamlet's plant was shut down and ice cream under the Mello Buttercup label was shipped from the Wilson plant. For me personally, that marked the end of Buttercup begun by Mr. Corning because it appears what Mello bought was really the Buttercup name and little else.

I did some quick Googling and what I found wasn't encouraging regarding the business' current existence:
-- There were several obituaries in the Wilson Times about retired Mello Buttercup employees, but I could not find a website for the company.
-- A Mello Buttercup ice cream stand in Sumter, S.C., apparently no longer exists.
-- The January 19, 2012 meeting agenda for the Wilson City Council has an item about directing the local building inspector to demolish a structure there called the Mello Buttercup Building "as unfit for human habitation."
-- I found another business address in Wilson for Mello Buttercup near the town's airport that had a phone number (no date on the web page). But when I called it at 7 p.m. Eastern time, I got the answering machine for "SRT Investments." Whatever the date of the web page, it listed Mello Buttercup as having only eight employees and revenue of only $1.2 million, which is not a lot of ice cream.

I believe what's left of Buttercup Ice Cream is our memories.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969

Bill Dennis

Postby Bill Dennis » Tue October 14, 2014, 11:33 pm

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 am

The last time I saw a Mello Buttercup Ice Cream truck was a couple of years ago at the pantry in Hamlet, I went inside to talk with the route salesman and was supprise to see he was selling Maola Ice Cream, he told me that Mello Buttercup Ice Cream [Coastal Dairy Products, Inc.]
had sold out to Maola Milk & Ice Cream Company in New Bern, N.C. and they had not painted all the trucks yet.
No God, No Peace - Know God, Know Peace SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS

lynnsteen

Postby lynnsteen » Wed October 15, 2014, 11:32 am

Good research Jody.
I agree with your closing conclusion.

I grew up on the stuff myself, starting with those nickel (or dime) cups with the cowboy photos on the lid underside. As I aged, the "Cheerio" became a favorite stick item, but I ate some of all the products. Particularly favored the seasonal specialty items like the Dreamsickle and banana Fudgesickle.

Then in high school I worked as a truck driver assistant for a couple of summers and got to sample some of the bulk items on a regular basis. Chocolate Revel and Butter Pecan were favorite flavors.

Good memories indeed.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Wed October 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Butter pecan
Jody Meacham

HHS Class of 1969

sigmore

Postby sigmore » Wed October 15, 2014, 4:52 pm

Is that pronounced pecahn or pee-can? Kinda like hamburger and hamburger meat.

lynnsteen

Postby lynnsteen » Wed October 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Sig, as a boy growing up in Marlboro and Richmond Counties, it was pee'-can to me. But through the years I have been converted to pe-cahn'. Suspect it is a regional preference. Which is correct? - search me!!

Maybe an English major will weigh in.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Wed October 15, 2014, 5:47 pm

From a PhD candidate in statistics at N.C. State: http://farmflavor.com/how-do-you-say-pecan-mapping-food-dialect-trends-across-the-u-s/.

My Meacham grandparents had three or four pecan trees in their backyard and during the fall we'd get them in the shells, shelled, fried in butter, in pies and maybe other ways. I've used both pronunciations interchangeably and if we were having a conversation, I can't tell you which way I'd say it next. But they all taste good.
Jody Meacham

HHS Class of 1969

Return to “Old Hamlet Stuff”