1942 - The Magnificent Eleven

Pictures, History, Articles from the past
bedford1864

1942 - The Magnificent Eleven

Post by bedford1864 »

This pic is of the 1942 Hamlet High Football Team. Listed on back are the following: Front Row, L to R: Burnell McGirt - RE, Joe Maurice - RT, Herbie Niemeyer - RG, Jack Odom - LG, Tom Wicker - C, Bo Shelley - LT, John Samuel Williamson - LE; Back Row, L to R - Joe Gregson - Wing Back, Chester Davis - Blocking Back, Judson Uzzell - Full Back, Dick Cosby - Tail Back. I know of only three that are still alive as of this date, those being Burnell McGirt, Bo Shelley and Dick Cosby, my dad. If anyone has information otherwise, please let me know. My dad would love to get in touch with them. Also, can anyone identify the house that this was taken in front of? Thanks. Wayne
Attachments
Hamlet High Football 1942.jpg
Hamlet High Football 1942.jpg (342.9 KiB) Viewed 8747 times
To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die.
freddie hassler

Re: 1942 - The Magnificent Eleven

Post by freddie hassler »

my classmate Sybil Harris lived in that house in the early 50's until '64
Veep

Post by Veep »

They played both ways on the football field (in dirt --not grass), then went to their wrestling and boxing workouts and on to engage in a World War. All of them have said they just did what they had to do--nothing heroic. Later they returned and made the USA into the most powerful nation in the world, militarily and economically. Truly, as Tom Brokaw has said "The Greatest Generation"...and now we are raising children terrified of cyber-bullies and that are offended by politically incorrect terms---Lord help us.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Still unclear on the location of this field. Is it on the grounds of HHS with the house in the background being on Spring Street, or some other location?

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

Looks like the house on the corner of 177 & Spring St. If it is, I believe it would be directly behind the grounds of HHS. Looks like that apt complex wasn't built at that time.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

That's the house that first occurred to me Jim. But if it is, isn't that the house that the Cox family lived in, Diane and George's family?

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

I think I can remember "Dusty" Carnes visiting Dianne Cox at that house if it is where we think it is. I can remember passing there several times and he and Dianne would be on the front porch. This would be after he got off work at the car shops and this would have been in the mid-fiftys.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59