1960 Mrs Willis 1.jpg
1960 Mrs Willis 1.jpg (480.98 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
1960 Mrs Willis 2.jpg
1960 Mrs Willis 2.jpg (781.33 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Jean Raby Nelson
Location: 12 miles south of Tampa off I-75 exit 250, Riverview FL

Re: Mrs. Willis

Post by Jean Raby Nelson »

I remember Mrs Willis with much fondness. Gwen and I use to participate in the Hamlet Public Library Summer Reading Club. Gwen won it for several years. I was never a constant reader. The one thing I remember best about Mrs Willis is taking art classes at their home on Rice street. I am thinking it was their daughter or maybe a sister who taught the classes. I don't even remember if they had a daughter. That said...we listened to the Lone Ranger daily. This was when I was 5 and before we had a TV. Mrs Willis encouraged me a lot. I had drawn a picture of 2 horses running around inside a show ring and I think there were musical notes in the sky because it was playing The Lone Ranger in my mind. That picture hung in the library over the mantle for many years. I was going to ask her for it but it was gone when I went by the Library. We had a lot of Birthday parties, girl scout functions (dances) in the basement and we even had mistletoe at the appropriate times. It was nice to be encouraged at such a young age and it meant a lot to me.
Capturing life one frame at a time...