Tell me the name of this cemetery

About Hamlet people or things
Bruce Osburn

Tell me the name of this cemetery

Post by Bruce Osburn »

There is an old cemetery on Gin Mill Road, about two miles south of Hamlet, in the southeast quadrant of the intersection where Gin Mill Road and Freeman Mill Road cross. What is the cemetery's name?
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Bruce, I'm not 100% but I think it might be the Freeman Cemetery.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Wayne,
Thanks for the info. I checked FindAGrave and it is identified as Freeman Family cemetery. I used to go there and read the marker inscriptions when I was a kid, way back in the early 1950s, and was just curious if anyone had entered the names into FindAGrave website. Someone had and I was surprised to see that a burial was made there as late as 2008.
Bruce Osburn
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Wayne, is that the Freeman-Leviner Cemetery as listed on the Richmond County GenWeb site?

Post by Bruce Osburn »

I did a bit more searching and found that the cemetery I asked about is identified on the Richmond County GenWeb site as the King Freeman Cemetery.

So I guess the person who made the first contribution to FindAGrave in March 2011 for interments in the Freeman Cemetery— and probably the one who identified the cemetery — didn't know that the full name was King Freeman Cemetery.

Just curious, that's all.
Bruce Osburn
Betty Freeman Farrell

King Freeman Cemetery

Post by Betty Freeman Farrell »

My grandfather on my mother's side King Freeman owned this land and had his parents James L and Jane Freeman are buried there altho he and my grandmother chose to be buried in Mary Love Cemetery. My grandfather's sister Lidia Ann Freeman Irwin and husband are burried there and her daughter Varneen Moore was buried there in 1908. My great-grand father on my father's side George Jefferson Freeman donated the land for Mary Love Cemetery. My great-grand fathers James L. and George J. Freeman were brothers.
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

King Freeman donated the property for Mary Love Cemetery. He reserved the plots on the right just as you enter the Arch going in then cemetery. King Freeman lived in East Hamlet on 5th Street.King Freeman has a Grandaughter that lives in Panama City Fl. and is suppose to be in Hamlet this weekend for a reunion.

Lynn I don't know about that Leviner name attached to it, could be.
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

This is great! Ask one little question and get a history lesson. If only my history classes had been so interesting.

According to the Richmond County GenWeb web site, the King Freeman cemetery and the Freeman-Leviner cemetery are two and distinctly separate cemeteries.

FindAGrave web site for King Freeman cemetery has ten entries, all made within the past year. Nine of the entries have photos of the markers, and all nine of these entries were made in Oct. 2011. These include four of the names mentioned by Betty Freeman Farrell in her post.
Bruce Osburn
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Yes, this is all very interesting stuff.

I have always imagined that the Freeman-Leviner Cemetery is located closer to the community of Osborne, maybe in the vicinity of Pleasant Hill Church. I just don't know its whereabouts; was hoping someone could point me in the right direction so I could visit upon my next NC visit. I have some distant relatives buried there.

Post by Bill Dennis »

Rockingham Remembered

The Town Crier

Cemeteries of Richmond County
photos by Bill Dennis 042708

http://rockinghamremembered.com/BDCemet ... ounty.html
No God, No Peace - Know God, Know Peace SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS
Bill Dennis

Post by Bill Dennis »

Richmond County, NC Cemetery Index

http://www.ncgenweb.us/richmond/cemeteries.htm
No God, No Peace - Know God, Know Peace SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

I was wondering why Mary Love Cemetery is listed in the Richmond County Cemetery Index.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Wayne, I think you must have meant to include a "not" after the word "is" in your post. Mary Love Cemetery is included; it's just not listed in the primary section of the listing where the boxes are used, but is instead included at the bottom of the listing page. Presume it was an add-on after the primary group of cemeteries was issued, but I really don't know the reasoning.

Mary Love Cemetary

Wayne, if you go to the

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Wayne, if you go to this site you can read the history of Mary Love.The article was written by my Aunt and tells why it was named Mary Love and about my great grand father George J. Freeman not King Freeman giving the land. My daughter and I were in Hamlet,Rockingham and Aberdeen last week and had lunch at the Seabord Restaurant,it was very good. Betty Anne and I went to the McDonald renuion on Saturday and we spent some time with my sister Frances in Aberdeen. It was good to see our old hometown.

Richmond County, NC Cemetery Index

http://www.ncgenweb.us/richmond/cemeteries.htm
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

just read in the paper where Johnsie Freeman Belch passed away, mother of my classmate Robert Brown HHS64 and Robert is buried in Mary Love on the right just as you pass under the arch as someone said The Freeman's had plots,must be a connection Johnsie, was the daughter of Ira Legrand Freeman,and will also be buried at Mary Love
Betty Freeman Farrell

Freeman Graves

When my great-grand father gave the land for Mary Love he reserved 128 plots for members of the Freeman family just to the right as you go into the cemetery.Rosalie Freeman Brown was his daughter and you will also find his daughters Virginia Halyburton and Emma Graham and their families buried there. My grandfather Martin Freeman and my parents John and Mattie Freeman and other members of my family are buried there.
Jean Raby Nelson
Location: 12 miles south of Tampa off I-75 exit 250, Riverview FL

Cemeteries

Post by Jean Raby Nelson »

This has been very interesting. I would like to thank Bill for the photos of the lesser known areas. My Grandmother, Carrie Thompson McManus has family buried at Silver Run. They grew up in the Hoffman area. Thanks for the photos Bill.
Capturing life one frame at a time...
Softball_mom2

Post by Softball_mom2 »

I have family buried there as well, in the Mary Love cemetery.
They are the Byrd family. Christenberry and Sudie Byrd. Its a beautiful
cemetery :)