Original location of consolidated school (grades 1-12)

About Hamlet people or things

Moderator: sigmore

Larry Graves

Original location of consolidated school (grades 1-12)

Postby Larry Graves » Thu October 18, 2012, 8:46 pm

In 1955 my family moved to Hamlet for about 1 1/2 years. I was half way into the third grade at the time. I'm trying to find the place we lived using Google map. Don't know the address, but the house was on the same street as one side of the school. Can anyone tell me the streets that bordered the school?

Wayne Fuller

Postby Wayne Fuller » Thu October 18, 2012, 9:06 pm

McDonald Ave on one side, Clay St. on the other side of Farview Heights School.

Hamlet Ave. in front and Spring St. behind Hamlet High School.

2nd St. on the side and Fayetteville in front of Fayetteville Street School.

Pantzy Fetner School was between Jefferson St., Henderson St. Vance St. and Champlain St. This school is gone and so are the houses that were across the street from it. Hamlet Hospital was located in the next block from the school.

Hope this helps.

Larry Graves

Postby Larry Graves » Sat October 20, 2012, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the information Wayne. Am I wrong about the school having all 12 grades at one location?

Jim Harris

Postby Jim Harris » Sat October 20, 2012, 8:07 pm

Hamlet High School was 1 thru 12 grades. I started 1st grade there in '57.

lynnsteen

Postby lynnsteen » Sun October 21, 2012, 12:16 pm

Always heard that you "live and learn". Well, that certainly applies to me here. I went to Hamlet High in 1954 from Fayetteville Street as a 7th grader. But in all my years there I never realized that there were any lower grades in the building. Always thought of it as a Middle/High School.

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Sun October 21, 2012, 1:56 pm

Lynn's post is right on. i started 7th grade at Hamlet Ave. School in 1950 after three grades at Pansy Fetner but I don't remember any lower grades there. Where were the little kids hiding because I remember having recess a couple times a day in 7th and 8th grades but don't recall seeing any 1st or 2nd graders.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Sun October 21, 2012, 4:28 pm

I don't know if the little kids were there all along, but once the new wing with the library and cafeteria were built on the east side of the original building, the first through sixth grades were there.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Sun October 21, 2012, 5:47 pm

I think Jody has the answer. I remember the building to the east of the High School and as best as I can recall, it was already built when I started there. It was a single story building, the kind that was meant to last only a few decades. Seems like they left a row of hedges separating the two buildings.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

lynnsteen

Postby lynnsteen » Sun October 21, 2012, 6:13 pm

I seem to kinda recall a cafeteria located to the east of the main building while I was there, but I never (or very seldom) used it. Made my lunch off hot dogs from the dog stand west of the Esso station and Reese's cups and Fritos from balk Bullock's store. But I still don't remember any small kids at the school. Guess too much water has flowed under the bridge!!!

Jim Harris

Postby Jim Harris » Sun October 21, 2012, 7:11 pm

My 1st grade classroom (Janie McNair) was on the main hall to the left as you go down the hall from the principal's office. 2nd (Russell) and 3rd grade (Clemmons) were over at the new building with the cafeteria and library. In the Forth (O’Brien) grade my parents moved to Pinecroft, hence changed to Fairview Heights. Then back to HHS in the 7th.

Jody, do you remember Terri Downer? We started 1st grade together.

Where was the cafeteria at HHS before the new wing?

Jody Meacham

Postby Jody Meacham » Sun October 21, 2012, 9:52 pm

I do remember Terri -- I think from kindergarten. She lived on Hamlet Avenue near High Street.

When I was in high school and worked Saturdays at the Hamlet Theatre with Eddie Tomlinson, we used to take the Silver Comet, which left around midnight after we got off work, to Atlanta to see the Braves play a Sunday afternoon game. Then we caught the train back to Hamlet, getting in about 2 a.m. Monday. On a couple of those trips we called Terri, whose father was transferred by the Seaboard to Smyrna, Ga., and visited her.

By the way, the round-trip fare to Atlanta was $17.85 (Eddie rode a pass) and the upper-deck Braves ticket was $6.50. There was a Shoney's on the walking route between the train station and the ballpark where we ate breakfast. Atlanta Stadium was the first place I ever encountered brown mustard, and it was good stuff. Dining car meal on the way home.
Jody Meacham

HHS Class of 1969

freddie hassler

Postby freddie hassler » Thu November 15, 2012, 3:02 am

jim, the Old Cafeteria was in the Basement,W est Wing North,during the early'50's, before that I have no clue, because that end was an addition

freddie hassler

Postby freddie hassler » Thu November 15, 2012, 3:58 am

Maybe, there wasn't a Cafeteria before that location on my post,because I remember we got a hour for lunch so we could walk home for lunch if we so desired, if you didn't bring a Bag Lunch.
The Dining room in the Cafeteria had long tables with OilCloth on top and Benches, they cooked in a very little room just north of the Dining room. 2cent for extra milk. 28cent for a Great meal, but so many of us would go to "The Purple Top" aka Ma Crawford's for a Hotdog and Pepsi, had a nickle left over for a trip to the Candy Kitchen just down the street going West.

Wayne Terry

Cafeteria

Postby Wayne Terry » Mon November 19, 2012, 6:35 pm

The cafeteria was towards the east from 59-63(at a minimum). You'd leave the bottom of the main building and walk east under a covered area from the main building to the cafeteria which was next to the lower level grades.

I remember taking Mike Caskey a snake over there one time for his classroom. Rascal had bitten me and I was ready to get rid of him.

ksmith59

Postby ksmith59 » Wed January 30, 2013, 1:55 pm

I attended first grade at Hamlet High School I believe it was 1965 and I believe that was the last year grades 1-12 were held there. The next year I went to Fairview Heights for second grade.

Return to “Looking for Information”