Just Curious:

About Hamlet people or things
Bruce Brown

Just Curious:

Post by Bruce Brown »

Months before the Seaboard Fest, there were two individuals of this site who were slinging some vicious threats about what they were going to do to each other at this year's Festival. I won't call any names due to the fact that all their next of kin may not have been notified. I wasn't there and have been checking the Prayer and Obit's and nothing there on either one of them. Anyone know how it turned out? And to think that this used to be such a nice and family oriented affair.
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

Bruce, the only thing that got hurt were probably several beers. Sigmore and g gregson can contribute more information.
terry gibson

Post by terry gibson »

Is anyone familiar with White Creek church which is supposedly located on Highway 381 south of Hamlet...in the vicinity of Ghio? My wife has a great aunt who might be burid there and we are trying to follow up on in-
formation we have received. Thanks for any help!
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

There is a White Creek Church on 177 south of Hamlet just before you get to the Railroad underpass on the right
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Freddie has the church properly located. It's in South Carolina (about 1 mile from the NC/SC line) in the community that has always been referred to as Haire Town.

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Terry,
What is your wife's aunt's name and dates of birth and death?
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Atteched is a link to grave listings for White's Creek Church from the Marlboro County page of USGENWEB.

http://sciway3.net/proctor/marlboro/cem ... k_cem.html

Post by freddie hassler »

After you cross into South Carolina and go by Jimmy's Store on the left and Quick's Bait Shop on the right, go on down (south) to the first paved road on the Right White Creek Rd. go .3 miles and the Church is on the Left. the Grave Yard is to the Left of the Church.
Address = 5169 White Creek Rd. Wallace SC.aka HaireTown, and if you look at the Link Lynn posted you can see alot of Haire's are there,some are Doctor's, I was told that in the old day's they were Root Dr's
I've walked this Grave Yard 30years ago looking for my Kin Folk's,without any luck there
ksmith59

Post by ksmith59 »

I attended first grade at Hamlet High School I believe it was 1965 and I believe that was the last year grades 1-12 were held there. The next year I went to Fairview Heights for second grade.
terry gibson

Post by terry gibson »

Bruce, my mother-in-law stated that the aunt would possibley have been born between 1895 and 1905 (when her mother was born) and "aunt" was older. This is all she can recall...she does not even know when the lady died as all contact with the family not recorded. She stated she does remember that her aunt married a Leviner, and her family did not know when she died or where she was buried, but it was supposed to have been White Creek Church. Her maiden name was: Dolly Rachels and then she married Leviner. After much thinking, I wonder if the family could just maybe have called her "Dolly" for some reason and this might not be her real name. Since she is the only one of the aunts and uncle that we have not been able to find anything about, I am hoping, for my wife's sake that we can get some information since Jackie is the only surviving link to this family. Thanks to all for contributing your information
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

@Terry

I think I have located the person in question by searching the NC Death Records on Leviner with Rachels as key word. Up pops Dolly Rachels Leviner, born June 28, 1898, died Apr 9, 1926 in Marks Creek Township of Richmond County, married to Whiteford Leviner, buried at Leviner Cemetery at Osborne, NC. Parents are Tom Rachels and Matilda Brigman. Although I grew up in the area, I have no idea where this cemetery is. There is a Freeman-Leviner somewhere nearby, but I think it is closer to Hamlet, not sure.

If desired, you can get a copy of this death certificate by going to Registrar of Deeds Office at the Richmond County Court House. They will make a plain copy for you for about $0.50.

I checked the Alternate Index of Burials on the Richmond County webpage of USGenWeb, but found no listing for Dolly Leviner. This suggests to me that she is probably in an unmarked grave, or else the survey did not include the cemetery she is buried in. Some of those old family cemeteries have a way of becoming neglected, become overtaken by the forests, and lost to posterity. Hope that is not the case here.
By the way, there are quite a few Leviners buried at Pleasant Hill UMC, which is in the vicinity of Whites Creek and Osborne.

Post by terry gibson »

Lynn,
Thanks for the information about Dolly Leviner. I printed it off and will send a copy to my mother-in-law. When Jackie and I have a chance to get back up to Rockingham, we will go by the court house and get a copy of the death certificate or else my mother-in-law will go by for us.

Terry Gibson
HHS Class of 1966
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

@Terry, I don't know how far afield ypu want to go with the Leviners but you can find Whiteford Leviner's parents and other ancestors here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... 01792.html

The Freeman-Leviner cemetery mentioned by Lynn is located south of Hamlet at the intersection of Gin Mill Road and Freeman Mill Road. Whiteford's parents are buried there (or so says the website linked).
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
g gregson

Re:

Post by g gregson »

Jim Harris wrote:Bruce, the only thing that got hurt were probably several beers. Sigmore and g gregson can contribute more information.
For the curious...it was Mr. Fetner and myself...and all we say about each other is our way of communicating to each other. In reality , we've be the best of friends for nearly 60 years. Oh..we did injur several beers this past weekend..and a couple of really good steak dinners @ the VFW. We think that's a pretty good thing to stay good friends for that long . What ya think ?