Grady Steen

About Hamlet people or things
jhscarborough

Grady Steen

Post by jhscarborough »

Grady Steen's death certificate, 1963, says he was a Merchant in Hamlet. What type of merchant was he and where was his store located. His wife was Leona or Leoma (Caulk) Steen.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Re: Grady Steen

Post by lynnsteen »

Think I can answer that. These are my parents.
My parents operated (with a little help from yours truly) a little convenience store called S&S Grocery, which was located immediately west of the Coca-Cola Plant on Highway 74 east. The facility handled Esso gasoline. A trailer park was also part of the operation and was located between the store and the Coca-Cola Plant. There also were three rental cabins to the rear of the store.

The property was owned by my uncle, who lived in Laurinburg.
Lynn Steen
HHS Class of '60
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

I was wondering if that was your family. I did most of the enumerations of the Steen Cemetery on findagrave. My 'nom de plume' on findagrave is CemeteryMan. Is Leoma the correct spelling for your mom?
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Yes it is.
Lynn Steen
HHS Class of '60
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

I remember the S&S Gro[, Lynn, didn't your late brother Wayne(RIP) have Grady in his full name/b]
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Yep, his full name was Grady Wayne Steen.

Post by mwj »

Lynn, I have some very fond memories of Wayne. He was a sweet, sexy, good looking and interesting guy. I met him in my freshman year at Hamlet High. My best friend and I both had a crush on him. We had never met anyone quite like Grady Wayne Steen.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Yeah, I'm sure he was quite the lady charmer; at least in his own mind. Could have used a few more years of seasoning under our dad for some attitude adjustment, but that was not meant to be. Turned out all right though; left us way too soon.

I remember back in '75 when I was living in Illinois and I came home to Hamlet for a class reunion, and I had bought a new plaid sports jacket for the occasion. When I unpacked at Mama's house and he got a look at that jacket, he just had to wear it for a date that night. I resisted all I could 'cause I hadn't even worn it myself, but he finally broke me down. Don't know what it was, but never did get the odor removed from that jacket.

Post by dcrooke »

The Steen brothers were tuff. One cold Friday HHS football game, Ronnie and I (9th or 10th grade) had just entered the admission entrance at the tennis courts and walked pass the concession stand behind the Hamlet bleachers to the far end. It was here that we saw a "fight" about to take place. It was either Lynn or Wayne Steen (wearing a long white London Fog) doing a number on Coach Goodman from Rockingham. Several right-left-right punches several times to Goodman's face ended the dispute. I don't think it was Freddie Jolly? either. Lynn, do you remember this?
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Nah, that couldn't have been a Steen!!

Well Donnie, all I can say for sure is that it certainly wasn't me; so it must have been Wayne if it were a Steen. That's what I meant above about some additional seasoning under the ol' man. I can certainly believe that of him. In fact I remember mama telling me at one time that Wayne and our cousin Byron Caulk (his classmate) would go at it like cats and dogs, unless they were on the same team. Then they would be each other's protector.

Something else you mentioned has gotten me to thinking though. You said he was wearing a long London Fog. I don't remember him having one, so I'm now wondering if that one could have been mine?? LOL