Pate Lovin

About Hamlet people or things
jhscarborough

Pate Lovin

Post by jhscarborough »

Pate Lovin, perhaps Thomas Pate Lovin who died in Hamlet in 1989.
My understanding is that he lived out on Spring Hill Church Road.

Does anyone know where he lived out there, and, if so, can you tell me which house? There's a cemetery I'm looking for behind the house with some very old graves in it. The first appears to be an 1820 burial but there are allegedly many illegible markers.

One man buried there was born in 1791 and lived to the ripe old age of 89. His father moved their LARGE family to western Tennessee after the Great Chickasaw Cession of 1818 where most of them remained. This man, buried at Morrison Cemetery, decided to return to Richmond County and the ancestral home, most of which had remained in the family.

The following appeared in March 15, 1979 issue of Hamlet's newspaper:

"This old cemetery is behind the Pate Lovin home on the road that passes the Spring Church. Many of the marble markers are so old they are illegible. Many are broken and lying flat. Elisha Champ Terry's and wife's Emily's markers are to be found there. Their sons, Gaston (1874-1943) and Eli (1892-1973) are also distinguishable. There are McPherson, Pate, Morrison, and Dockery markers. The old cemetery is badly grown up. On one small marker was written "Not lost but gone before."

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
Wayne Fuller

Re: Pate Lovin

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Joe, glad to see you back. Bryant Lovin (HHS1969) (his Father name was Pate Lovin) lives on Smith Cemetary Road. It is located in this area. Bryant was raise in the location where you say this cemetery is located. His phone number is 910-557-5302. Hope this helps
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

You obviously are not referring to Sallie Smith Cemetery, which has very good directions on the Richmond County US Genweb site. But I bet T12's husband can direct you to the cemetery in question, as he grew up in this community. So T12, get the ole man to describe its location so you can share it with us.
Lynn Steen
HHS Class of '60
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Thanks for the contact Wayne. I'll try to call him tomorrow some time (I guess the would be today) since it's currently 2:53 am).

Lynn - The cemetery used to be called Morrison Cemetery, but the last person I know of being buried there, Elijah Walter Terry, was buried in the Terry Family Cemetery according to his Death Certificate. He and his brother Gaston are both enumerated in the cemetery I seek; Morrison Cemetery aka Terry Family Cemetery.

My mother was a Pate and her ancestors moved into Richmond County in 1815. There were already Pates there at that time but they are all part of the same family. Way back in the late 1600s the first Thoroughgood Pate stepped across the Virginia line and settled just north of where Edenton is now. After he died the boys got land in that part of Craven County that would become Johnston>Dobbs and then Wayne County. One of them, a Baptist Minister, headed into South Carolina and began starting churches, eventually working his way up into Marlboro County. Sons of the other two brothers headed west to the then western end of the state around Southern Pines eventually to Anson County north of Wadesboro meeting up with the Baptist Minister. One of the minister's sons, another Thoroughgood, bought land where Gibson is and his grandson is the one buried in Morrison Cemetery.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Very interesting information Joe on Thoroughgood Pate history. I have come across that name myself in some of my research on my Quick ancestral lines, probably a descendant of the individual you highlight. Always thought it a very interesting name.

The Pates were influential in the life of Richmond/Scotland Counties, as evidenced by the chain of Z. V. Pate commercial establishments at one time. They obviously were good businessmen, at least Z. V. was.
Lynn Steen
HHS Class of '60
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

Speaking of Z. V. Pate, with a tie in to Terry Gibson's off topic request, about Dolly (Rachels) Leviner, in Bruce Brown's "Just Curious" topic of this /Looking for Information/ thread, Z. V. Pate was the informant for her Death Certificate. The Pate and Rachels families intermarried regularly, but I found it interesting that Zeb knew her well enough to be the informant; the husband, Whiteford, was still alive.

I'm trying to decide how to present the information on where she 'might' be buried, but the Freeman Family Cemetery at the intersection of Freeman Mill and Gin Mill Roads is not the Freeman-Leviner Cemetery. The Freeman Family Cemetery is one and the same as the King Freeman Cemetery enumerated by Ingram and Sherrill, and as best I have been able to tell, so far, it was never transcribed by the ladies who did the WPA Historical Records Survey in 1937.

I have located a likely candidate for the Freeman-Leviner Cemetery, which was included in the WPA surveys, and just 2.9 miles NNE of Osborne. I'm in the process of discovering the property owner before I ask someone if they're interested in a Sunday drive.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Joe, I was told via email just recently by someone living in the area that the Freeman-Leviner Cemetery is located on the south side Osborne Road, between the community of Osborne and Nebo Church Road. Don't know what condition it is in.

Is this in agreement with your information?
Lynn Steen
HHS Class of '60
jhscarborough

Post by jhscarborough »

No, Lynn. The cemetery I was looking at is southwest of Old Wix Rd.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.85283,-79 ... 2CCemetery

My notes on who owns the property are out in the truck, but I do remember I couldn't locate a valid phone number for the individual.

I'll rummage around the aerials and see if I can locate the one you mentioned.

Post Script— There is a cemetery I have looked at before, but never been to, which is south of Osborne Rd and west of the rail line and also just across the South Carolina Line. Of course, back in the old, old days, they weren't real clear on where the Province Line was. Hence the reason some people from North Carolina were enumerated in South Carolina Censuses and vice versa. It wouldn't do any good to give a link to the aerial on that one because it's hidden by pine trees.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Based on the directions given on the Richmond Count GenWeb site under the Cemetery heading, I would say there's a good possibility that this is Smith Cemetery.