Z.V. PATE

About Hamlet people or things

Moderator: sigmore

Bruce Osburn

Z.V. PATE

Postby Bruce Osburn » Wed September 18, 2013, 8:10 pm

I'm gonna start a new thread here for Mr. Z.V. Pate. It seems like he cast a pretty big shadow in the sandhills and a lot of people stood in it, including me. Although I doubt very seriously that I ever actually met the man I was still aware of him, even when I was just a little kid back in the early 1940s. My grandfather sharecropped on farms very near the NC/SC border and Mr. Pate's general store in Osborne was where the family purchased a few household and farm items. And I suspect all the items were purchased "on time".

Mr. Pate's store in Osborne was still standing as late as 1990 but was demolished before 2000. And it was about the latter time when I went on-line and started surfing the net. Naturally, I pulled up satellite shots of places I was familiar with in the sandhills and one of those places was Mr. Pate's store in Osborne. Although a pine thicket had overgrown the area the store had once sat on, the outline of the store's foundation was still vaguely visible (but not now). Do you think that would be a good place to go treasure hunting with a metal detector?

I bought some wooded property on Grace Chapel Church Road way back in 1969 and one of the concrete corner markers had an ID of ZVP.

My cousin, Barney Patrick, worked at the Grab in Hamlet most of his adult life. When the Grab closed its doors he went to work at Mr. Pate's grocery store in Gibson, N.C. as store manager. One weekend I was visiting Hamlet and drove to Gibson to see Barney. He showed me around the store and offhandedly remarked that there was more upstairs but he couldn't show me. He told me that the 2nd floor was loaded with merchandise that had not sold over the past decades. And what really got my attention was when he said there were rows upon rows of brand new foot-treadle Singer sewing machines gathering dust.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

jhscarborough

Re: Z.V. PATE

Postby jhscarborough » Fri September 20, 2013, 10:10 am

I have heard, or read, that even after the store in Gibson closed there were old coffins standing up against the walls upstairs.

Z.V. Pate, in addition to being in the mercantile business, was also the local undertaker. Many of the period Death Certificates have his signature.

Z. V. Pate, Inc. still exists and when I was looking for my 3g-grandparent's (Willoughby & Aseneath (Smith) Pate) burial spot I had an occasion to go to their offices in Laurel Hill, a)to ask permission to enter the suspect properties as required by General Statutes, and b) to speak with Colin Dees, who I had heard from interviews with locals, had been Z. V. Pate's surveyor for decades. Colin pulled out incredibly detailed aerial photographs of the area in question and he pointed out some landmarks that I had mentioned. At any rate, during the course of the conversation he told me that upstairs in the offices where we stood were boxes upon boxes of Pate's old records, stacks upon stacks of old newspapers and numerous 'artifacts' from the old store. He didn't offer to take me up there and I didn't ask, but the investigator in me was drooling. My impression was that the upstairs is a gold mine of Richmond County's social history. Someone will probably go up there some year and. . . *cringe*. . . throw it all away.

36219_131971436837560_6108980_n.jpg
Pate's store in Gibson, NC
36219_131971436837560_6108980_n.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Fri September 20, 2013, 11:20 am

Joe, You're probably more right than wrong in your speculation that someone, some day, will go upstairs in Pate's offices and thrown away all that was collected during his lifetime and afterward. And that will be a great loss to all those in the sandhills because there's no telling how much family history is gathering dust there, history that genealogists would do back flips to get their hands on. But, hey, maybe someone connected with a historical type group in the sandhills will read this and do a little investigation.
Bruce Osburn

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Tue September 24, 2013, 9:19 pm

It seems that the Z.V. Pate store pictured above was opened in January 1913.

PATE  zv marlboro democrat 2-3-1913 copy.JPG
PATE zv marlboro democrat 2-3-1913 copy.JPG (28.04 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
Bruce Osburn

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Thu September 26, 2013, 12:32 pm

WOW! Talk about the purchasing power of the U.S. greenback! Mr. Z.V. Pate's $25 sure did cover a lot of ground.

PATE ZV 2 MARLBORO DEMOCRAT 8-14-1908 copy.png
PATE ZV 2 MARLBORO DEMOCRAT 8-14-1908 copy.png (129.07 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Bruce Osburn

Return to “Looking for Information”