Christmas Parade

About Hamlet people or things
David
Site Admin

Christmas Parade

Post by David »

Does anybody have an idea when the Hamlet Christmas Parade started? I do not know.
David
Site Admin

Re: Christmas Parade

Post by David »

These are comments from a post I put on Facebook.

• Jerry Pait I know they were going on in 1960.

John Martin I know it was going in the 50's so someone older than me needs to reply to this but I am guessing it was quite a while ago....

Howard Richardson I know it was in the early 60s

Jean Nelson I remember it in the 50s

Joyce Hennecy I know it was going in the 50's because I marched with the band in 53, 54 & 55. I can't remember the year I was Miss Hamlet Homecoming but I rode in the parade that year. If anybody knows that year I would appreciate you letting me know. They did not have a Miss Hamlet that year because it was the Homecoming year.

Kitty Adeimy Ormsby I rode on a float in 1965

Shirley Cate I rode in the parade in 1957 as Miss Hamlet.

Jerry Ethridge I marched in the Hamlet band in the 60s.

Beth Plunket All my years are covered!! Road in a float in '67.

Lenna McLean Definitely in the fifties! We had the second largest at one time! Just behind Charlotte! I have some old slides that I have to dig out and get them ready to show!
David Lindsey Some old pictures from the 70's.http://ourhamlet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7754

Wayne Goodwin David, your Hamlet photos may have been from 1975 or 1976 or thereabouts, based on what appears to be a Bicentennial-related reference, but I could be mistaken.

Melvia Holt I remember the parades being held in the middle 60's..very well.
David Lindsey Wayne you could be right. I had no dating on the slides.

Bill Best I was in the HHS Band in 1950 and we marched in the parade that year.

Jerry Pait I have feelers out with some of my older first cousins to see if they still have a memory. I figured I'd start there before I asked the question. I bet Joe Joseph H. Scarborough has this tid-bit of info stuck away somewhere in his bag of goodies. He will answer soon if he does.

Joseph H. Scarborough When I was just a wee tike—maybe not even walking yet—I was the King of the Hamlet Christmas parade, so it was going in the early 50s.

Jerry Pait I checked with another first cousin: Earl Smith has this to say...
I vividly recall a Hamlet Christmas parade about 1950 or 1951. I was in either 7th or 8th grade at Hamlet Ave School, not yet in high school (HHS '56). I "think" that HHS had j...

Lenna McLean You all are right- not sure of exact year, but definitely 50s!

Joseph H. Scarborough I have no idea who the Queen was. This photo may be as late as 1955.

Bill Best A little more about Hamlet High Band, It was organized in 1949 by Ed Lietecher and by 1950 after he taught each pupil how to play an instrument he then instructed the Band on how to march. There was approx. 30 or more members. Want to know more, ask Mike Carnes who still lives in Hamlet. Rockingham already had a marching Band.
Bruce Osburn

Re: Christmas Parade

Post by Bruce Osburn »

The reason I didn't reply to this post earlier is because I thought sure someone would post the date of the first one right away. But this looks like more of a poser than I first suspected.

I don't know when the first parade was held but the last one I went to was in Dec. 1952. And I doubt very seriously that I would have missed any during my time in Hamlet so the first one (I went to) would have been in Dec. 1948.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.