Telephone Number ???

Eagle One

Telephone Number ???

Post by Eagle One »

This telephone number (582-1215) used to be the most called one in the old Hamlet-Rockingham phone book. Whose number was it? Don't try calling it now. It has long been taken out of service but some poor soul probably wound up with it later on. :roll:
sigmore

Re: Telephone Number ???

Post by sigmore »

Just a wild guess, is the number you could call for the correct time??
Eagle One

Post by Eagle One »

Nope. Sorry. Try again. I'll give a hint though. I ran this same one thru here a few years ago. Most of the guessers got very hot but didn't quite hit the nail on the head. I finally had to give the answer. :lol:
Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

This is the number for the Crew Clerk at Hamlet Yard.
Eagle One

Post by Eagle One »

Congratulations Malcolm. You hit the nail right on the head. You're either a retired railroad man or you remembered the earlier post by me. That crew callers office phone stayed hot round the clock. They were either calling crews or talking with those wanting to find out how they stood on the board or wanting to claim jobs. There were no cell phones back then and everyone had to remain tethered to "ma bell's umbilical cord." Little did we realize that those were really the good old days compared to the ways things are today with the railroad in Hamlet. I worked as a road engineer for many years and have been retired for quite a few years now but that phone number will be embedded in my mind till the day I die, no matter how senile or forgetful I may get. :lol: