Chewing tobacco for Allan Gaddy

jamesharoldsmith

Chewing tobacco for Allan Gaddy

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

What kind of chewing tobacco did Mr Gaddy chew? (mentioned in recent post)

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
Bruce Brown

Post by Bruce Brown »

If my memory is correct, it was RedMan.
Last edited by Bruce Brown on Fri October 26, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesharoldsmith

O dear. He must have switched. I remember his chewing beechnut tobacco during the time I was in high school. The reason I remember it being beechnut was that it was the second kind of smokeless tobacco I tried and it was loose and not in a formed "cake".
So Bruce, I guess you are right in terms of the last tobacco he was chewing.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
Bruce Brown

Post by Bruce Brown »

Jim, you're possibly right on the Beech Nut, and I'm possibly wrong on the Red Man. That red, white, and blue foil package was the first thing that hit my memory. I'm saying you're probably right .
Last edited by Bruce Brown on Fri October 26, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

That is a great chewing tobacco story. All I remember is that Gaddy worked a lot of games that I played, that he liked to joke with players when he wasn't explaining a penalty call because he knew we were all kids, and that the front of his striped shirt was always stained brown.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
jamesharoldsmith

Thanks for posting to both of you.

Does anyone have a trivia ? they want to ask?

When I suggested this to David, I did not think to ask him if it could be done w/o a moderator and I do not think he minds who post what.

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

My sources tell me that Mr. Gaddy chewed "Beech Nut". Also, I've seen him blow his nose on the flag time to time.

Mr. Gaddy was a friend and fellow woodworker. I spend numerous hours in his shop building projects.
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

I also remember Mr. Gaddy calling games at Hamlet, thinking he also did College games too maybe Jim knows for sure :D
Jane Gaddy

Re: Chewing tobacco for Allan Gaddy

Post by Jane Gaddy »

As his niece, I believe it was Beechnut...nasty habit as I would tell him every time he spit in our front yard. He always laughed when I said "ugh"!!
I learned to drive in his porche..made me put the pedal on the floor. Also went with him to a game in Greenville(East-West high school game) to referee..he got a speeding ticket and threatened me with my life if I told Aunt Hazel! Never did tell her..Yes he did referee college games. I have lots of great stories and so did he..not sure if they were all true..I was very lucky to be niece! What a character!! I miss him every time I walk by his house!