Hamlet City Lake Walking Bridge

freddie hassler

Hamlet City Lake Walking Bridge

Post by freddie hassler »

Where was this Bridge located and what was it used for and by who?
jamesharoldsmith

Re: Hamlet City Lake Walking Bridge

Post by jamesharoldsmith »

If i understood my Aunt correctly, I think I remember her talking about my grandfather,JB Smith Sr walking across a creek that was later to become the City lake. He walked across a bridge and up the hill to go to work at the roundhouse and it was almost a straight line from his house to the "round house " ( at least i think I remember it being called the round house ). At this time, they worked on steam eng.

This is a guess

Jim Smith
HHS Class of '59
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

That's want is was used for Railroad men to get to work from E. Hamlet to the RR without having to walk all the way around. but I was thinking the Lake was there, anyway you could see what was left of it when they would drain City Lake, on the west side came out just north of the VFW Ed Hartgrove told me about it
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

I talked to Bernell McGirt about the bridge over Hamlet City Lake. He said that the bridge was behind the Hartgrove house (last house on the left on 2nd Street in East Hamlet). This would be the best location due to the fact that it is the closet point on from side to side. Bernell said that the bridge was built by the RR because an employee that lived back in the woods from the hartgrove house came down with a mental problem. One day (after the lake was built) he stated to work following a path through the woods to the Roundhouse to go to work at the Roundhouse. The lake had been built and he waded into the lake and drowned. The RR built the bridge after this happened.