Must be Fred Case.
freddie hassler

Re: HAMLET HEDGES

Post by freddie hassler »

Correct Fred Case
freddie hassler

Fred Case lived next door to us on the north side, and one day he asked me to ride to town with him on the Hamlet-Rockingham Bus Line to cut his Hedges, We departed the Bus downtown on Hamlet Ave me with clippers in tow to Front St. He did the cutting and I picked up the clipping and threw them next to the RR tracks
at the time I though he was telling me a lie about planting them because he would take a drink or two
After I went to work for SCL RR Rex Russell asked me did I know who planted them, as the Engine went by ,so I told him the story and he told me I was right that Mr. Case a WWI Vet(Navy) planted them when he was cut-off from the RR, so Rex concurred what Mr. Case had told me in the early '50's
I could go on and on about Mr .Case but will stop here for now.he was such a Jolly Ole Man loved to be around him as did all the Longwood Park kids[ :D /b]
Malcolm McLellan

Post by Malcolm McLellan »

Thanks Freddie. Good information. Do you know who
maintanes the hedges now?
freddie hassler

I would think the Town of Hamlet does, and have for many years
Mr. Case died when I was in the USAF from 1965-'69

and I want to Thank you for posting the picture of the HAMLET HEDGES
freddie hassler

Malcolm you being one of the oldest members do you remember the Red Ram Mascot that would be at all the Friday Night Football games on the early '50's :?:
Malcolm McLellan

Sorry, I do not.
freddie hassler

Fred Case was the man who took Red Ram to all the home games, Kept him at his house in Longwood Park every Friday Red Ram would get a good bath, a new coat of Red paint on his horns and hoof's he would let me do the painting since he had very poor vision
freddie hassler

South of the Blue Store were 2 building that have long been gone since I moved to Hamlet in the early'50's Brown's Poolroom ran by Tyree's Dad and an Old Theater, that was closed
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

Also in that area Freddie was a barber shop, the first shop cut I ever had. My dad took all us boys there initially. The shop was operated by Yancey Brigman. He had the reputation of cutting little boys hair by placing a bowl on the head (which he didn't do) as all cuts had that familiar look. But he did have a tendency to pull your hair with his clippers. As I got old enough to go to a shop on my own, I stated using City Barber Shop. Being a Creeker, it was there that I picked up the latest scoop on those hotshot, uptown boys my age that I never got to know till high school - that being the Dab Craddocks, Wendy Pates, John Pooles, etc. of uptown Hamlet. I used that term Creeker, but believe it or not, I never heard that term used in all my years in Hamlet. I heard it for the first time about four years ago.

The cheapest haircut in town 50cent I also got a bowl cut there and the shoe repair shop next door ran by Mr. Pence
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

@ freddie hassler, You must be a few years younger than me because I got my first Yancy Brigman haircut in the early part of 1948 for 25¢. I continued to get my hair cut there until sometime about 1950 when Dad went back into the army. That's when Mom started giving me 50¢ to get my hair cut at a shop on the same side of Main street as the Hamlet Theater. Not the shop at the corner of Raleigh and Main, but a little farther east, just past the tracks that crossed Main Street (the connector between the east-west tracks and the north-south tracks that ran on the west side of the Terminal Hotel).

During the years I got my hair cut at Brigman's shop he never used a bowl on my head so Lynn was right when he said Yancy didn't use them. And Lynn was right again when he said Yancy had a tendency to pull the hair when cutting. I reckon that was because he had not yet modernized with electric clippers and was still using hair-pulling hand-squeeze clippers. Along about 1950 or so Yancy increased the price to 35¢ because the city installed parking meters on Front Street and he had to put a nickel in the meter every hour during collection periods. Yancy was well known around town for gapped-up haircuts. I also remember Mrs. Brigman sitting most of the time in the shop.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
Malcolm McLellan

Bruce, the barber shop you remember on east Main Street was
Kendall's Barber Shop next to Stinson's Furniture Co.
freddie hassler

@ Bruce, just a few years younger I was born in1945 we moved to Hamlet when I was 5, and I do remember Yancey had those hand type clippers, never to see them again until I got my hair cut at Osan AB Korea by a Korean, he used them to thin out your hair first haircuts were 25cent in 1968 in Korea. Blue Ribbon was 10cent :!:

freddie hassler

I know Yancey never used a Bowl, but that's what everyone called his style of haircut, since it looked like he placed a bowl on your head and cut all the hair not covered by the bowl[ :D
I remember when Lynn aka Zero and Glynn Austin lived next door to us in Longwood Park, It was their 12th Birthday and they wanted me and my brother Robbie to go to the picture show with them My Mom was a single Mom at the time working in Safie Mill and didn't have the money for us to go, so The Austin Bros came up with a plan :idea: They could go to Yancey get a haircut and have money left over to pay our way in with the money their Dad gave them to get a haircut at the City Barber Shop, and Movie money
That was the kind of Boy's Lynn and Glynn Austin were, Caring, Giving ,Etc. and still are to this day/b]