Re: PURPLE TOP

Post by annmartin »

Ma Crofton"s Hot Dog Stand
Ruth Crofton ran the hot dog stand
Sold hot dogs hamburgers french fries soft drinks ice cream
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

I've heard this name Ma Crofton mentioned several times on these Hamlet websites, but I never heard the name mentioned when I was in school there; at least I don't remember it. I started attending school there at the HHS site in the 7th grade in 1954 I believe it was, and I graduated in 1960. During those years, I do remember eating hot dogs (and they were good) served at a little wooden building immediately west of the Esso station (Bill West at one point and then Rea) where Hardees is currently located. So the description as being in the Hardee parking lot rings true. But I don't remember any particular colors associated with this building. Best I remember, it was a very, very small building, with no area for sitdown dining; just enough room for the serving counter and a serving line to run to and fro. If asked, I would have said it was a wooden building with a tin roof. But I admit I could be totally wrong on this recollection. We boys would go through the serving line to get a couple or three dogs, and then go next door to the Esso station where we would buy a soft drink (Pepsi Cola for me), and sit on the foundation curb around the gas station and have our lunch. Then we would go inside the station and purchase our dessert ......... generally Reese's peanut butter cups and/or Fritos. Oh, and we had to have some Topps bubble gum too, with the player cards inside (bought more for the cards than the gum).
Something that I do remember though is that the servers in this hot dog shop were mostly girls from the high school. Some in particular that I remember working there were Peggy Smith and her sister Rebecca, Joyce Barmer, and the Rogers girls (Lois, Peggy, and Gloria).

Post by freddie hassler »

Ann, think your right about the name, and Lynn you are also right about your post Mr. Rea was there at the Esso Station first and Mr. West came later, after he moved from Hwy74 Boyd Lake Rd. corner
I don't remember if it had a Purple Top or not, but that's what everyone called it
you could buy a hotdog drink and have 5 cent left over to put in the juke box or do as Lynn and go to the Esso station, I mostly went to the Candy Kitchen for candy just west of the hotdog stand
at least we haven't forgotten a piece of Hamlet History :D
the name Esso was replaced by Exxon sometime after 1969 after I got out of the Air Force Tody Brigman ran it then
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

Esso was changed to Exxon in 1971. If I remember correctly Ma Crofton was related to Arthur Martin. It sure would be nice to have a hamburger and hot dog as good as those that came from there.
lynnsteen

Post by lynnsteen »

@ Freddie
I believe you have the Bill West move backwards on the Esso station. I'm pretty sure he was at the Hardee's location first, and then moved to Hwy 74/Boyd's Lake Rd location. But I could be wrong.

I remember there was a younger Bill West though, just a few years older than me, and I think he operated the store at the Hwy 74/Boyd's Lake Rd at one time. I'm thinking it was Bill West Sr. who made the move to Boyd's Lake Rd location. Maybe Bill West Jr. moved back to the original location after I left Hamlet. Just a thought.

Post by lynnsteen »

@ Freddie
I'm beginning to think I need to come before you on bended knee, with hat in hand.

After making the previous post, I decided to do some checking in the four Choo Choo yearbooks I have from my high school years. What I found was that in the first two annuals, there were ads for both West Esso and Rea Esso. And West Esso was listed at East Spring Street (the Boyd Lake Rd location) both years. West also had ads for the latter two years ('59 and '60), with the same address in '59, and no address listed in '60.

I confirmed that Bill West Jr. was HHS Class of '58. For some reason I have Bill West associated with the Esso station at the current Hardee's location. Could it be that after Bill Jr's. graduation, his dad purchased the Rea Esso station for Bill Jr. to operate? I'm still having trouble though in getting rid of the thought that Bill West was at this location prior to Rea!!
Bill Sapp

Post by Bill Sapp »

I remember going with daddy to West Esso down by City Lake when I was a youngster. Later, Billy and Tommy moved to the location that is now occupied by Hardees. I remember having a set of tires put on my 1980 Mercury Monarch Ghia sometime during the early 80's, probably about 1982. I traded that car in 1983, so I am pretty sure about the time frame.

Bill Sapp
Bruce Osburn

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Perhaps I can add a bit of info for the Esso station at the intersection of US#74 and then-NC#77. I entered 7th grade at Hamlet Avenue School in Sept. 1950 and left after finishing 9th grade in June 1953. During that time most of my lunch periods were spent there, eating sweet cakes and sipping Pepsis. We young boys sat on the hard concrete walkway on the east side of the station, right outside the rest rooms, and guessed at the year and make of cars as they passed by. As best I remember, HHS '56 graduate Bobby Rea's father owned/operated the station. I can't remember ever eating at the Purple Top, but I do remember buying unwrapped, in bulk, by the sackful, broken pieces of candy bars at the Candy Kitchen (no damaged goods into the trash cans in those days!).
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.