Want Happened 51 years ago today11-22-'63

General things going on in Hamlet

Moderator: sigmore

freddie hassler

Want Happened 51 years ago today11-22-'63

Postby freddie hassler » Sat November 22, 2014, 6:02 pm

I was in 3rd.Peroid Study Hall, went Prong came over the PA and gave us some bad News, what was the subject:?:

Jody Meacham

Re: Want Happened 51 years ago today11-22-'63

Postby Jody Meacham » Sat November 22, 2014, 8:57 pm

President Kennedy's assassination. I was in the library when the announcement came over the PA.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969

freddie hassler

Postby freddie hassler » Sat November 22, 2014, 11:16 pm

Jody you are so right, it was on a Friday, and we were to play the Rockets that night but changed it til sat. night and we lost 7 to 6

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Sun November 23, 2014, 2:19 pm

I remember where I was when this terrible event happened. I was on a few days leave form USS SARATOGA, home ported in Mayport, Fla., and was in Brunswick Ga., getting in a little flying time with my brother in our 1948 Aeronica Chief.

I had gone into Sears that day for an item and as I was leaving the parking lot I reached over and turned on the radio. It seemed to me that it was taking an awfully long time to warm-up so I reached over and firmly smacked it with the heel of my hand. That didn't help so I mumbled "Oh, well, there goes another ten bucks." But before I pulled onto US17 a voice came on and said, "We have just observed a minute of silence in honor of the president. And now, back to our regular programing." (Or words to that effect).

Nothing more was said to explain the minute of silence so I pulled into the nearest service station for fuel. While the teenage attendant was pumping gas I asked if he had heard anything about the president. "Yeah," he said, "somebody just killed him," with no more emotion than telling me his dog had just died.

I spent the next several days glued to the TV, constantly switching between the three networks to see if one talking head had information the others didn't have because I was worried that the navy would cancel all leaves (furloughs to you army guys) and I would have to go back to my ship. (Didn't happen. And I can't remember if I got any flying time that week).

I was apolitical at that time but still held Kennedy in high esteem because I had sworn... to obey the orders of the President of the United States... The only black mark I had against Kennedy was his refusal to unleash the dogs of war against Castro in the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

freddie hassler

Postby freddie hassler » Sun November 23, 2014, 6:54 pm

Bruce,I believe everyone on that day can recall were they were

Return to “Hamlet Happenings”