The Redesigned Traffic Cop

David
Site Admin

The Redesigned Traffic Cop

Post by David »

One day in 1964 I was reading the Raleigh News and Observer. What a surprise to see a AP wire photo of our little school warning policeman who normally resided about 1/2 block from school on Hamlet Avenue. The reason this was newsworthy was that at some time when no one was looking Mr. Policeman had been borrowed and painted. He was really cute. If I recall correctly, he had on a muscle t-shirt, hairy chest and legs and stubble beard, purple polka dotted undershorts, work boots, his policeman's cap and he was also shooting the bird to anyone passing by. I thought "How cute". Mr. Policeman and I had been friends before. I lived about 2 blocks from where he lived in the street so one day (probably bored) I rolled him home with me....do you reckon I thought no one saw or heard me rolling him down Corning Street?) Well, my mom walked into my bedroom and there he was looking pretty good. She made me take him back....rolling him loudly all the way. The reason I think this is funny is that for 20 years I had been given credit for painting Mr. Policeman by my dad, John Raby (I had no idea that he thought that all those years). I wouldn't want to steal anyone's glory so I will now give credit to Freddie Jolly and Steve Corbin for their very creative endeavors. Good Job Guys. I only wish I had thought of it. But Hamlet, NC made the BIG paper that day. I just wish there had been a picture other than the one in the AP photo.

written by Jean Raby Nelson
TR4

Re: The Redesigned Traffic Cop

Post by TR4 »

OK
Last edited by TR4 on Sat October 11, 2014, 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
freddie hassler

Re: The Redesigned Traffic Cop

Post by freddie hassler »

Freddy Jolly was the one who painted the cop, never knew Steve helped, but he just lived down the street on Hamlet Ave, about a block on the south side headed east so they must have took him there to repaint him, Freddy lived on West Ave. too far to travel with Cop in tow[/Freddy was a great artist b]