June 24, 1891 was the date. The CS&N finally made it to Gibson and opened the tracks on October 1, 1892 where it connected with the Raleigh & Augusta. Remember that the R&A is the company that built the Gibson spur in the first place. CS&N never actually connected with the Carolina Central Railroad though the R&A had trackage rights of CCR from East Junction to Hamlet.
By the time the company got to Gibson it was in such financial trouble that it went into receivership and was then sold to Atlantic Coast Line in February of 1885. The line ran obviously from Charleston to Sumter, and from there to Darlington, Bennettsville and on to Gibson. The road bed is still clearly visible and much of it is farm road. It joined the Raleigh & Augusta Gibson stub just south track-wise of the station and street crossing in Gibson and came into Bennettsville from the Lake Wallace side via the community of Lester. You know. . . by the old Burnt Factory.
Aerial view of a trestle pier on the Pee Dee; remnant of the trestle mentioned in the article.http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.50154,-79.74860&z=20