IRH - Ma Crofton

This section is to honor the works of Russ Lancaster who started the “I Remember Hamlet” web site years ago. Without his pioneering the web at that time we might not have gathered all these memories of our Hamlet, NC. We thank you Russ for what you started in 1996, may you Rest in Peace. Russ was kind enough to let me download his web site before he took it down. Thank you Russ.
David
Site Admin

IRH - Ma Crofton

Post by David »

Ma Crofton
by: Russ Lancaster
At the site on the corner of King Street and Hamlet Avenue where Hardee's now stands, there used to be a small cafe/grill simply known as Ma Crofton's. It was there before I was born in 1941 and remained there at least until 1959 when I graduated High School and left Hamlet for the first time.
The food that was served there was fresher, tastier and just simply better than any of today's fast food restaurants. It was just a small diner with a couple of booths and a counter with stools. The hamburgers and milk shakes were the best in town and at a reasonable price.
It was a popular place to grab lunch during the one hour break the high school kids had for lunch and just as popular with the adults to grab a quick snack to go in the early evening hours. There was no luxury like air conditioning. You could only find that at the Hamlet Theatre or the two barber shops (Haddens on Hamlet Avenue or City Barber Shop on Main Street). If you wanted a soft drink, the choice was a 6 1/2 ounce coke in a bottle. There weren't many choices of anything at Ma Crofton's but she had the best in the few choices she did offer.
Ma Crofton was old, short and with totally white hair but always friendly to those she knew as well as the few strangers that might pop in from the highway once in a while. Her corner (Hamlet Ave & King St) was also the corner of NC highway 177 and US highway 74. Most of her pop-in customers would be those off hwy 74 on their way from the West to the beaches about 150 miles further east. If they ever stopped once at Ma Crofton's, they would always return on their future vacation trips.
The most curious thing about Ma Crofton was her reputation. Some called her a "good" witch, some a psychic. It was popularly believed she had some kind of special sixth sense and if you really had a need she would attempt to use her "powers" to answer your unknown questions. She also knew secrets such as a cure for warts and other such things.
I never tested her psychic powers except once when my watch disappeared. It was a fine Bulova watch my parents had given me for a good report card when I was about twelve years old. While sitting in class, the leather band broke at the clasp and I laid it in my desk. When school was finished for the day, it was nowhere to be found.
I had my suspicions about where it might be, but not being one to accuse without proof, I talked my Mother into letting me go ask Ma Crofton where it might be. My Mom and I walked the few blocks and politely asked Ma Crofton if she would help us. She questioned us for a few minutes and could give us no answer.
It didn't matter, my mother explained that trivial things (it may not have been trivial to me) would not be as important to answer as real problems to Ma Crofton. She convinced me. I never saw her powers work (other than her mental cure for getting rid of warts) but always believed she had "special" powers.
Yes, I remember Ma Crofton and I remember Hamlet!
freddie hassler

Re: IRH - Ma Crofton

Post by freddie hassler »

Ma.Cfofton's was also called'' The Purple Top''