Engine & Caboose Painting project

Post pictures of things and happenings in our area.
David
Site Admin

Engine & Caboose Painting project

Post by David »

Painting project of the Engine & Caboose at the Depot.

Last edited by David on Fri April 12, 2013, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
freddie hassler

Post by freddie hassler »

[/b]the Caboose at City Lake need's a new coat of paint also :D
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Didn't the City sue the Hamlet Railroad Museum to paint the engine and caboose?
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

According to the Daily Journal, the city sued the museum in August 2011 to get the museum to paint the engine and caboose. After a year, the suit was settled so that the museum leases the rolling stock to the town for 25 years. The lease costs the town nothing, but allows the town to get state funding to refurbish the equipment, which remains property of the museum. The refurbishment not only includes repainting but, in the Journal's words, "make them accessible and user-friendly to the viewing public." I think that means people will be able to get on the equipment, but I'm not sure.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

So the City sued the other Museum and there own caboose looks worse.

hamletjr22

Post by hamletjr22 »

pretty sure the depot board sued the city not the other was around, if that was in the journal it was a typo which does not surprise anyone I am sure. but anyway, these are facts not something designed to stir the pot.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

It's clear from quotes that the other museum's attorney, William Van O Linda, and its president, Bill Williams, gave to the paper over the course of a year that they were defendants in the suit, not the plaintiffs. So the town sued the museum.

The issue that David and Freddie have raised here is the lack of maintenance on the caboose at the City Lake. More specifically, it's the contradiction between the concern for the rolling stock in one place and under one ownership and the lack of concern for the rolling stock in another place and under another ownership.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Why doesn't anyone just have a little "paintin pardy" at the caboose. I'll bet yall could find enough volunteers to cook out and fix up the caboose with a little steam cleaning and some donated paint. Steal a bucket of red from the fire house!!
Wayne Fuller

Post by Wayne Fuller »

The caboose at the City Lake belongs to the city. If the city can,t repair it they should remove it like they wanted done with the one on Main St. because it looked so bad.
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

sigmore wrote:Why doesn't anyone just have a little "paintin pardy" at the caboose. I'll bet yall could find enough volunteers to cook out and fix up the caboose with a little steam cleaning and some donated paint. Steal a bucket of red from the fire house!!
Benny,

I have a group of volunteers that have helped me with community projects in the past. Our last project with the City of Hamlet was building the Concession Stand at the South Hamlet Park. Friends of Hamlet received a grant from the Cole Foundation for half the project cost. After the project was completed a city official expressed publicly that they were cheated. The City paid all their part of the project directly to the contractor. I handled the entire project and paid the remaining portion of the project. The Cole Foundation had no objections to how their money was spent on this project. In a meeting with the Mayor and City Manager she said that the City would never partner again on any type project like this.
I know a number of positive projects that could be done by citizens such as painting the caboose. It’s a shame of our City’s lack of desire to work with an established citizens group to help make our town a better place
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

It's a shame that a little town Like Hamlet has so many petty, self induced wounds to worry over. Some one in charge need to get off the high horses and get down to having a meaningful relation with the PEOPLE of Hamlet. Without the people, they have no town to reign over. My HO.
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

t12

Post by t12 »

Hang on for the weekend......
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

There's still some painting left to be done on the diesel in these photos including the engine numbers, SAL heralds and there should be a trim stripe along the top and bottom of the yellow.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

4-17-2013
Progress continues

freddie hassler

rode by City Lake today and the Cab has some fresh red paint, still have some lettering to do :D
g gregson

Post by g gregson »

This painting makes for a much needed facelift. This reflects our town to the people who see it weather traveling by it rarely or everyday. I am just glad it was done and reflects our town in a positive way ! Was a total shame attorneys had to be involved in any way IMHO.
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

Now if only Mr Gregon would get his much needed face lift, Hamlet might let him move from Rockingham to their fair city!!
g gregson

Post by g gregson »

[quote="sigmore"]Now if only Mr Gregon would get his much needed face lift, Hamlet might let him move from Rockingham to their fair city!![/quote
Face lift would be welcomed...but also need attitude lift , financial lift , etc. Just don't think it would be any help though!
freddie hassler

The signal, to the East of the Engine means what :?:
sigmore

Post by sigmore »

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it means that the track is clear North and South. Let the laughter begin!
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

I think it means stop
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969
jhscarborough

Re: Engine & Caboose Painting project

Post by jhscarborough »

Jody is absolutely correct. The semaphore positions indicate stop, one governing one track and one governing an adjacent track. Multiple light signals (yellow over green for instance) for a particular track would have been stacked. Notice that the blades of these semaphores have square ends. They are absolute signals. A blade with a point >, or a blade with a fishtail <, were used to tell/forewarn an engineer of the aspect of an upcoming absolute signal. There were also round ended blades indicating train orders—deviations from the timetable operation would be enacted through train orders. The aspect of the semaphore: |= proceed; / = proceed with restrictions; — = stop.

Notice the bluish roundel or lense. This is not a faded green or an incorrectly colored roundel. Originally, semaphores were illuminated by kerosene lamps and the blue mixed with the yellow of the flame to make green. Even with the advent of the tungsten filament, electric light, there was still a considerable amount of yellow and the blue roundel remained, though the appearance was decidedly bluer. In the original semaphores the blue roundel—green when it mixed with the yellow light source—was white.

The last operating semaphore on CSX lines, used in Baltimore, was removed in 2006.
Joe Scarborough
HHS Class of 1970
bedford1864

Re: Engine & Caboose Painting project

Post by bedford1864 »

Joe,
I have a memory (1950's) of a double semaphore in the middle of the 4-track crossing at the SE corner of the old terminal. They were stacked with one set for the E/W tracks and a set for the N/S tracks. I guess what I'm trying to describe is a "quad", two facing N/S stacked on a set facing E/W. I would be waiting out there with my grandmother every evening and can vividly recall the stop or horizontal markers as two westbound trains were held at the crossing for a southbound to pass and it's markers would be green and at a 45 degree angle down. I've wondered whatever happened to that one. Then again, something also tells me that maybe it was just one set and that it could be rotated to signal traffic in either direction. Now I'm not sure. Getting old does weird things with memory. Then again one may have replaced the other. Could that possibly be the same semaphore in the picture? Thanks. Wayne Cosby
To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die.