Site Admin

W. D. James rentals 1959

Post by David »

W D James Rentals 1959OH.jpg
W D James Rentals 1959OH.jpg (132.15 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
Bruce Osburn

Re: W. D. James rentals 1959

Post by Bruce Osburn »

Hey! Those rentals seem to be reasonable but I can go one better. In 1960, when I was in between navy hitches, and living in Waycross, Ga., I had room and board at an old tourist court. You know the type, a restaurant surrounded by stand-alone cabins. They were quite common in the 40s and 50s and consisted of ten or twelve one-room cabins with shared bathrooms separating the two units, the kind you had to lock the adjoining door in the bathroom when you were using it. And don't forget to unlock it when you left or your neighbor would start banging on the wall. My cost for meals in the restaurant and a single room with shared bath was a whopping $10 a week! What better bargain could you hope for!
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.
TR4

Post by TR4 »

That was a bargain
Last edited by TR4 on Sat October 11, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jody Meacham

Post by Jody Meacham »

I believe in 1959 those rental costs were probably per month.

My first apartment in Asheville when I went to work after college in 1973 was $67.50 a month furnished. It was half of a round structure on stilts on the side of a mountain with kitchenette and bathroom at one end of the semicircle. My next apartment in Asheville was two bedrooms in an apartment complex unfurnished for $220 a month.
Jody Meacham
HHS Class of 1969