First time voter

Local poliitical discussions

Moderator: Jody Meacham

sigmore

First time voter

Postby sigmore » Tue September 27, 2016, 5:25 pm

I just wanted everyone to know that this will be the first time my wife and I are going to vote. I've never really been much into politics because I wouldn't trust any politician any more than a used car salesman. But I have had enough of these people that feed off of the troughs of our tax money and ignore us. I'm voting for Trump for the main reason is that he isn't a politician or a puppet. I would really like see this whole mess come to a head and let's gitter dun! I swear I've only had two beers, but me as a person is tired of the same ole, same ole.

Only my humble opinion, Benjamin "Sigmore" Fetner

Eagle One

Re: First time voter

Postby Eagle One » Tue September 27, 2016, 7:06 pm

Me 2 sig. I'm voting for Trump. We know what we'll be getting if Clinton is elected. Another four years, possibly eight, of Obamaism. I shudder to think. In Trump there is some semblance of hope for America !!!

Bruce Osburn

Postby Bruce Osburn » Wed September 28, 2016, 2:14 am

Donald Trump is, in my opinion, the least qualified Republican candidate for president in my lifetime. He's narcissistic to the highest degree, and acts like "if he doesn't know it, it isn't worth knowing".

By his own account he knows more about military affairs than the top army brass. Among his many faults is one that he does not respond well to criticism, often times leveling a more critical comment in return, just to accomplish one-up-manship. But, even with that said, I think he is still the lesser of two unqualified candidates so I'll reluctantly vote for him, all the while shielding the screen so no one sees me click his name.

And one of the reasons I'll vote for him is because he says things that career politicians are reluctant to say -- although they may secretly agree with him -- afraid they'll breach political correctness.

Case on point: the "wall". Practically every opponent of controlled entry into this country has criticized Trump's proposal to build "the wall", citing all kinds of excuses for allowing unfettered access for immigrants, both legal and illegal. Local and national politicians, TV talking heads, el presidente Nieto and others got their licks in. Even the Pope condemned Trump's proposal, saying Trump "is not Christian" if he calls for the deportation of undocumented immigrants and pledges to build a wall between the United States and Mexico.

Another of Trump's proposals that drew fiery condemnations from all quarters was his proposed ban on all Muslims entering the US until "our country's representatives can figure out what is going on".

But let's put things into perspective because Trump's proposals to build a wall and ban Muslims are not without precedent.

When I was in Rome 58 years ago there was a wall around Vatican City and it's still there.

In 2006, and prior to the 2008 general election, Hillary Clinton, while serving in the senate and anxious to get the votes of the anti immigrant folks, voted to build a wall along Arizona and portions of the borders of New Mexico, California and Texas (in a 2003 interview with WABC radio in New York, she declared: “I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigrants”).

And during the cold war years there was a time when strict controls were placed upon persons entering from the Soviet Union countries. They were restricted to places they could visit and places they could not visit. Diplomats were also subjected to the same restrictions, even to the routes they could take when traveling between major cities.

Bill Clinton, when he was in office, denied entry into the US to Haitians displaced by an earthquake. Haitians trying to escape to the US were intercepted at sea and taken to Guantanamo Bay and placed in confinement. And when the crisis was over the Haitians were forcible returned to their homeland.

Bill also was responsible for the "wet foot, dry foot" policy for Cubans. Up until the implementation of that policy any Cuban getting into the US was "home free". But Bill's administration determined too many Cubans were entering here so the wet foot, dry foot policy was put into effect.

I can say that Trump might not be fully qualified to sit in the Oval Office but at least I know where he stands.
Bruce Osburn
--We live so long as we are remembered... old German adage.

Linda Lancaster

Postby Linda Lancaster » Wed September 28, 2016, 8:47 pm

I am also voting Trump. He is flawed but Clinton is evil.

freddie hassler

Postby freddie hassler » Sun October 2, 2016, 8:38 pm

Trump gets 2 votes from 305 Hylan Ave.Hamlet,NC.

jamesharoldsmith

Postby jamesharoldsmith » Mon October 3, 2016, 5:15 pm

Agree with Bruce and Linda. The US can't take another 4-8 yrs of current Democraits.

Jim

sigmore

Postby sigmore » Fri January 20, 2017, 8:57 pm

And here we are! Things are starting to happen before he as even sworn in! I like it, and I like it a lot! I'm hoppin on the down for the Dems for the ride. Why are they acting all whiney and stuff?

Return to “Hamlet Politics”